• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Still consistently thinking about crowns

How long on average have your crowns lasted when well taken care of?

• 5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 years

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 15 years

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
K

klol

Dentist says they’re healthy. Had em for 3 years, dentists says they shouldn’t need replaced anytime soon. However google says (shouldn’t have googled) that 5-10 years can be max life of a crown. I have the worst phobia of having them replaced so I take very good care of them, but curious what other people have experienced for crown life on molars when taken well care of.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had many of mine over 15-20 years . They seem to last really well . so thankful for crowns!

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm I’ve not given much thought to the potential for needing to replace mine until now. Mine is only 2ish years old so I still have a long time before I need to worry about it (hopefully). Although I presume replacing a crown is easier than doing the initial one...especially on a tooth with root canal although it probably costs the same.

M

MountainMama

I think a big part of it is how well they were done, and how well you take care of it. I had a poorly done crown that only lasted four years. It was put on in a way that allowed food to get stuck under one edge and ultimately it caused decay, as even with a syringe I could not keep it cleaned well enough.
My husband has never had a crown replaced, and he has had some for 20 years. My father has a crown on his front tooth that he got when he was nine. He is now 70 years old. It has never been replaced, and is structurally sound.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

A crown’s life expectancy is composed out of many factors: how well the dental work was done, how well the person cleans the teeth, diet, saliva, temperature changes... endless factors.
The tricky part about obsessive thoughts is that even when you try not to think about it-you actually thinking about it. This phenomenon is called “the white elephant effect” (try not to think about a white elephant and you cannot help yourself not to).
The good news though, it is temporary. obsessive thoughts stay for a limited time.
Hope it helps.

S

SouthernWind

I have 5 of them (for over 6 years) and have never had problem with them before (t-t-t)(everything done with a same dentist). I just got a new one a week ago. It was placed on the tooth without root canal, metal filling was removed. Amalgam filing was very low, about on the gum level, I have seen it when my temporary crown fail off next morning. So, when I arrived for the permanent crown, I shared my concern with dentist several times. It (the hole from the filling) was pretty sensitive when he was cleaning off temp. cement. He insured me that there is no decay on tooth and no filling is needed, everything will be sealed with a perm. cement. Nevertheless, I fill that this area is still sensitive, under the crown now. And, (yes! :) I agree, more sensitive when I am thinking about that :). Anyway, all this week I am taking antibiotic (just in case), not prescribed, but I have it and rinse mouth with mouthwash. It still setting in my head that food may get between crown and gum into this previous cavity. I am so scared!

T

Thephilsblogbar

I have no had any yet, but need to have one next year, hoping it lasts me at least 20+ years

J

JaySee19

I have a crown and a bridge that are 27 years old and have never caused me problems. He was a great dentist (but he left the practice). I do worry that maybe I should tell my current dentist how old these things are. But what do they say about sleeping dogs and “never touch a running system”? How do you know when a crown has reached the end of its life? Does it break, crack, fall off?