• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still consistently thinking about crowns

How long on average have your crowns lasted when well taken care of?

• 5 years

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 10 years

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 15 years

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 20+ years

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
K

klol

Dentist says they’re healthy. Had em for 3 years, dentists says they shouldn’t need replaced anytime soon. However google says (shouldn’t have googled) that 5-10 years can be max life of a crown. I have the worst phobia of having them replaced so I take very good care of them, but curious what other people have experienced for crown life on molars when taken well care of.

I've had many of mine over 15-20 years . They seem to last really well . so thankful for crowns!

Hmm I’ve not given much thought to the potential for needing to replace mine until now. Mine is only 2ish years old so I still have a long time before I need to worry about it (hopefully). Although I presume replacing a crown is easier than doing the initial one...especially on a tooth with root canal although it probably costs the same.

I think a big part of it is how well they were done, and how well you take care of it. I had a poorly done crown that only lasted four years. It was put on in a way that allowed food to get stuck under one edge and ultimately it caused decay, as even with a syringe I could not keep it cleaned well enough.
My husband has never had a crown replaced, and he has had some for 20 years. My father has a crown on his front tooth that he got when he was nine. He is now 70 years old. It has never been replaced, and is structurally sound.

Hi,

A crown’s life expectancy is composed out of many factors: how well the dental work was done, how well the person cleans the teeth, diet, saliva, temperature changes... endless factors.
The tricky part about obsessive thoughts is that even when you try not to think about it-you actually thinking about it. This phenomenon is called “the white elephant effect” (try not to think about a white elephant and you cannot help yourself not to).
The good news though, it is temporary. obsessive thoughts stay for a limited time.
Hope it helps.

I have no had any yet, but need to have one next year, hoping it lasts me at least 20+ years

I have a crown and a bridge that are 27 years old and have never caused me problems. He was a great dentist (but he left the practice). I do worry that maybe I should tell my current dentist how old these things are. But what do they say about sleeping dogs and “never touch a running system”? How do you know when a crown has reached the end of its life? Does it break, crack, fall off?

I had a porcelain fused to metal and it lasted for 7 years I replaced it with a zirconia and have a feeling it will last longer. I have another crown in the front I had for over 10 years and it’s still going strong.

Back