• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still having problems with root canal and crown - considering cancelling holiday!!!

P

Pollyanna

Still having problems with root canal and crown - considering cancelling holiday!!!

Hi there. I had root canal filling and crown 6 weeks ago in a front lower tooth - no problems with the filling but ongoing problems with the crown. It has never settled and have been back a few times, first of all they thought it was the bite and corrected it, but the problems persist. I had an emergency dentist and have since started going to a private dentist and wished I had gone to him from the start. He x-rayed it as I was convinced the root was cracked and said not, he also said that there didn't seem to be any infection but I took antibiotics just in case. I had a scale and polish to get rid of tartar as he thought this could be harboring bacteria. But something isn't right, the movement of my lower lip pressing on it when I swallow is enough to hurt so sleeping at night is a nightmare. Flossing either side hurts too. The dentist said that it could be a ligament in the gum. It feels sharp just like a nerve and yet I know I haven't got one - wouldn't I feel a pulsating pain if it was infection? It's not hot and cold sensitive and yet I can't even touch it today.

I am going on holiday to Lanzarote in 5 days for 2 weeks and I can't look forward to it for worry about the tooth to such an extent that I am considering not going. :cry:

Does anyone had any ideas of what it could be please - its the not knowing that I can't cope with. Thank you.

Re: Still having problems with root canal and crown - considering cancelling holiday!!!

It's likely to be either an inadequate root filling or a fractured root.
Lower incisors often have a second root (canal) which can be quite tricky to find.
Why not google dentists in lanzarote and see if you can find an english speaking dentist who could help in an emergency

Re: Still having problems with root canal and crown - considering cancelling holiday!!!

Hi Rob

Thank you for answering my query. The dentist that did it checked for a second root and said there wasn't one. The second dentist x-rayed and said he couldn't see a fractured root or any signs of infection, but you said in an earlier posting that its inconclusive But I think you are right, I think it is one or the other and that leaving it isn't going to 'cure' it. If it is one or the other, what are the changes I should look out for before seeking help? Is it increased pain?

Many thanks for your help - it took me so much courage to get it done, can't face the thought of getting it done again!!

Back