• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still in pain is this normal

R

Ratzke

Couple of days ago (tuesday 1.30pm) I had an emergency dental appointment dentist temporarily filled a hole on a broken tooth and I have an infection, onset of an abscess so two lots of antibiotics were subscribed Amoxicillin 500mg caps & Metronidazole 200mg tabs and to carry on with pain killers, how long does it take for the pain to subside because I am getting really down, think I've overdosed on the pain killers yesterday taking paracetamol & Nurofen express together every two hours as the pain was becoming unbearable only pain free for an hour, using clove oil as well which helps for a few minutes, from the dental appointment I started the antibiotics this morning I took at 6am codeine & nurofen, at 10.30am took just Nurofen and at 1pm nurofen, when the pain comes it's unbearable so today I'm only taking one sort of pain killers, I have 2 days left of the antibiotics please tell me I should be pain free before I finish the antibiotics, not forgetting I had a good cry yesterday!:cry:

Couple of days ago (tuesday 1.30pm) I had an emergency dental appointment dentist temporarily filled a hole on a broken tooth and I have an infection, onset of an abscess so two lots of antibiotics were subscribed Amoxicillin 500mg caps & Metronidazole 200mg tabs and to carry on with pain killers, how long does it take for the pain to subside because I am getting really down, think I've overdosed on the pain killers yesterday taking paracetamol & Nurofen express together every two hours as the pain was becoming unbearable only pain free for an hour, using clove oil as well which helps for a few minutes, from the dental appointment I started the antibiotics this morning I took at 6am codeine & nurofen, at 10.30am took just Nurofen and at 1pm nurofen, when the pain comes it's unbearable so today I'm only taking one sort of pain killers, I have 2 days left of the antibiotics please tell me I should be pain free before I finish the antibiotics, not forgetting I had a good cry yesterday!:cry:

Hi So sorry to hear about your experience ,this is not normal you need to go back to your dentist and get it done wright ,I had 12 extractions 2 days ago and all in one implant ie 10 teeth done the same day and I have no pain just some light bruises ,I am on only Amoxicillin 500mg caps Nurofen 4 times and codemol 3 times a day and fell pain free ,antibiotic should kick in within 3 days at most .
Hope that help
Kas

It takes about 3 days for the antibiotics to kick in enough to reduce the infection to the point that it can reduce your pain so you should be feeling some relief today.
Did you set up another appointment? because the tooth will just flare up repeatedly if you don't get it root canaled or extracted.

Hi,

I had an abscess make itself known last Tuesday. Antibiotics reduced the pain within 48 hours. However, when the dentist removed the infected nerve on the Thursday morning, the pain returned, went down, and briefly came back on Saturday (although much lessened). So it's not instant, sadly. Is it better for you yet?

Back