• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still numb after 7 days following top teeth extractions

N

numbgums

Hello Forum,
And first and foremost, a big thank you for the professionals who monitor this site, and offer answers and emotional support for those of us who are experiencing something so very new and foreign to us.

Here is my question: I had all the upper teeth removed 7 days ago and immediately had a temporary set of teeth placed in my mouth. The pain has been unreal for me for 5 full days. Has gotten a tiny bit better in the last 48 hrs., but the lower half of my nose, lower part of my cheeks, gums and upper lip still remain numb from the procedure. And the discomfort in the upper gum is crazy, even as I write this post.

Is it normal to STILL be numb after 7 full days out of the procedure ?, and if it is a possibility, how long will these conditions exist ? Will I ever regain the feeling of normalcy in these areas ? Am going back to dentist tomorrow AM, but would love some ammunition prior to arriving there tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much for your time.

Numbgums

see your dentist not normal

Hello Forum,
And first and foremost, a big thank you for the professionals who monitor this site, and offer answers and emotional support for those of us who are experiencing something so very new and foreign to us.

Here is my question: I had all the upper teeth removed 7 days ago and immediately had a temporary set of teeth placed in my mouth. The pain has been unreal for me for 5 full days. Has gotten a tiny bit better in the last 48 hrs., but the lower half of my nose, lower part of my cheeks, gums and upper lip still remain numb from the procedure. And the discomfort in the upper gum is crazy, even as I write this post.

Is it normal to STILL be numb after 7 full days out of the procedure ?, and if it is a possibility, how long will these conditions exist ? Will I ever regain the feeling of normalcy in these areas ? Am going back to dentist tomorrow AM, but would love some ammunition prior to arriving there tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much for your time.

Numbgums

Not normal. I had 4 appts that I needed numbing for and I don't remember any numbness remaining by the time the evening time hit.

see your dentist not normal

Thank You for your answer, which begs another question. Can an oral surgeon inject too much numbing agent, thereby causing nerve or tissue issues ? Thank You again.

there is something called paresthesia which can occur

definitely see your dentist, this isn't normal. even when I've had TON of injections the numbness is gone by the night time.

good luck

Hello I'm just getting worried reading this forum because I am on day 8 of total extraction upper and lower teeth, day 8 and my gums are still totally numb and the numbness goes into my nose and nasal cavities and the total roof of my mouth. I have several large ulcers on my upper gums, which made it totally impossible to wear the temporary dentures I was given. Those temporary Dentures actually cause extreme pain and gum irritation everywhere. I cannot swallow food with the temporary dentures in nor can I even swallow my pills come with my daily meds. A threads and stitches have been coming out in my mouth and hanging onto my tongue and these stitches I like thick thread I have to snip them with a scissors. I thought stitches where the gums were sewn shut, would dissolve after a few days. I was having to cut the strings even after day seven! I feel like I was hit in the face with a baseball directly on my nose and upper lip! What should I do? Does someone give me medical advice here? The numbness doesn't seem to be going away, and my sinuses feel like they've been opened. My lips are also numb and it's almost impossible to speak. Trouble in Indiana! Could this be something dangerous?

Back