• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Stitches coming undone after extraction

D

DavyP

I don't know if this is the right place for this and if it isn't i apologise.

I went into hospital on Monday afternoon and had 9 teeth extracted under general anesthetic, i have been using the salt water rinse but after having some lukewarm soup for tea i rinsed my mouth and noticed that i have at least an inch of what i assume is a stitch hanging loose from 1 of the extraction sites.

I have a major fear and get physically sick just walking past a dentist and it was my mum who sorted everything out for me (ime 31) but she has now gone on holiday and there is no way i would be able to phone anybody to ask about it.

Can i just trim it down or am i going to have to get it looked at?
My mum isn't back from hols till next Tuesday and i am frightened of pulling it and causing problems.

Dave

Hi. I am having the same problem; I had an extraction last week, and yesterday afternoon (after I got back from another appointment), I noticed a string hanging from the extraction site. They told me the stitches would dissolve. I tried to trim it this morning, but fear stopped me. Is this normal?????? Will it dissolve on it's own? I haven't been eating on that side (didn't want to disturb the area), but I am still afraid I will catch it on something and hurt myself. Help!!:scared:

If you can see what you're doing OK, then just cut it off as close to the gum as you can. Don't worry about it.
I hate dissolving stitches with a passion, just because of crap like this :(

If you can see what you're doing OK, then just cut it off as close to the gum as you can. Don't worry about it.
I hate dissolving stitches with a passion, just because of crap like this :(

Tell me about it! I had dissovable stitches that came loose a few days later, it would catch on my tongue ::eye twitches:: I would honestly just go back to the dentist and see if they could cut it off (as long as your gum is healing well of course!)

Thank you!!!! Not too long after I wrote about this yesterday, 2 of the stitches fell out on their own, including the string that was bothering me a little. 2 more to go!!! I never had dissolving stitches before; I thought by "dissolve" that they would actually disintigrate. Now I know what to expect next time. Thanks a lot; I am so very happy I found this forum. It has been a fantastic help to me.:cheers:

Back