• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Story/Questions of what I'm going through right now. pretty urgent :<

D

DamienM

Hello.

Quick Edit: I'm apologizing early in-case I have come to the wrong forum <.<

Before I start, I'm a 23 year old male, I smoke cigarettes a lot, and drink every 2 weeks or so, I have what I would assume now a mild-panic disorder (Anxiety) although lately since I heard something interesting which I will say below I have been very edgy, and very stressed and nervous and thinking like overboard about a lot of things.

Last week, I went to the dentist to get my bottom-left wisdom tooth pulled, because it was infected, broken and whatnot the tooth was black and it was causing more and more infections in that area, while being pulled it was breaking up into pieces and it was just taking a lot of time to come out, the pain was manageable although the pressure felt like unscrewing a bolt of some kind.

Now this is where it gets really frightening, The dentist asked me, 'are you a smoker, do you drink a lot of soft-drink' and such, and sure I agreed with that because it's true I do, and then the close-to unexpected that she said was she could see 'fibers' which I really have no idea until she said that, that it actually existed.
Well apparently the fibers can develop into oral cancer, Note: When hearing that is a possibility whether it can happen right now or in the future my heart sunk, like my face dropped I was speechless I started tearing up and that's why I have been the way I have been.

But that same afternoon I went up to my local GP (doctor) and said pretty much what i described in the paragraph above and he said to me that he couldn't see anything that could develop that, Which has made me think twice about what is actually happening. Like They're both professionals in their line of work, Although how do I know for certain that she or he isn't just yanking me by the leg or something?

Note: I haven't gotten a second opinion or more opinions since since it was recently my birthday I was already busy so I haven't got moving on what I'm saying next.

Back to the dentist, She said to me after she yanked my tooth out, that they're all infected (apparently my gums are infected) and that for me to avoid something (basically) fatal that all of my teeth are to be removed.

Sorry for the long essay, I thought I should just describe everything the best I remember which I think will stun me for the time being of my life until fixed, Now here's my questions about all my teeth being extracted.

- While under General Anesthesia, If anything while under goes wrong with you as a person, Can the anesthesiologist wake you up immediately? (I'm really nervous about this)

- How long would you be under if you choose to through general anesthesia to get every single tooth extracted?

- If I choose not to go through the operation, because I'm really terrified of not waking up from anesthesia;
Is there an alternative method other than General Anesthesia, But similar to a Local Anesthesia, or would they use a Local anesthesia?

- How many teeth can be removed in one session (while under), and (while awake)?

I think is really the main questions I would appreciate the most to be answered;

Thanks for your time & I really hope somebody can comment something positive or some reassurance about my first question, That's what i'm really curious about the most but I'm curious about all.

Damien.

Last edited:
- While under General Anesthesia, If anything while under goes wrong with you as a person, Can the anesthesiologist wake you up immediately? (I'm really nervous about this)

there are reversal agents available

- How long would you be under if you choose to through general anesthesia to get every single tooth extracted?

depends on the number of teeth that will be taken out and the skill of the surgeon

- If I choose not to go through the operation, because I'm really terrified of not waking up from anesthesia;
Is there an alternative method other than General Anesthesia, But similar to a Local Anesthesia, or would they use a Local anesthesia?

it can be done with just the local anesthesia, or you may look into conscious sedation with halcion or valium

- How many teeth can be removed in one session (while under), and (while awake)?

all of them. Regardless of consciousness

I can't answer some of your questions but I can tell you that I suffer from GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and Panic Disorder..I'm going on about 8.5 years of living through this hell. I am absolutely TERRIFIED of the dentist, the days leading up to an appt I always find myself so sick and anxious. The day of the appointment I have to take anxiety pills and when I walk into the office and smell that smell I almost lose it...since I am like this I always have to be put under IV sedation. It is sooo easy to be put under, they watch you very closely when you are under, they will be monitoring your heart, your breathing, blood pressure, etc to make sure you are ok during it. You will wake up and wonder why they are telling you it's time to go home because it won't feel like a second has gone by. I promise you from someone who suffers severe anxiety, this is the best way to do dental work. You will be a bit anxious leading up to it but they put the IV in your arm, you'll be talking to them and next thing you know you'll be in the car on your way home!! Good luck!!

Back