• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Straight into the fire

L

lena25

Some months ago with an achy wisdom tooth that has a large cavity in it I decided to break the cycle and go see a dentist.I asked two friends who recommended me their dentist who is also an oral surgeon and given how we hit it off right away and I was comfy while he did the big clean up I figured I'd come there to have the wt extracted. He saw the xray and thought even those close to the nerve and likely would have some brief damage he can do it and when I muster up the courage and the funds to come back. This was during summer. Some months later, mentally prepared to go get a 3D scan and undergo it all he said he cannot do it as I can suffer nerve damage. :( He told me to go the dental clinic for oral surgery and didn't even recommend which oral surgeon to see. I think it's got more to do with the fact he didn't want to do it as I am pretty anxious patient, almost to the point of going into slight panic attack. I visited a couple offices where, also after seeing face looking as if I'd see a ghost, told me it would be best to go to the clinic as they have everything for patients like me. I felt frustrated and dissapointed in myself for being so anxious and going into tears because I thought I will never stumble upon a dentist/oral surgeon who won't be put off and help me overcome the fear. Still I went into the oral surgery clinic and was booked for an extraction of the tooth in question and its coming quickly. I never had an anesthetic injected in my gums. I don't know how I will react. I never had a dentist come at me with the drill and suction and those instruments since I was a teen so I feel like I am jumping straight into the fire I am afraid of hurting myself and the dentist/surgeon. The lady at the clinic was super nice and told me I am in perfectly capable hands, but I cannot stop thinking that once they see the same pale white face they will turn me away.Any tips and advice on how to manage this huge leap would be greatly appreciated.

Lena,

I'm just seeing this now but noticing its been a few weeks.. how are you doing? did you go in for this appointment. You've been totally brave and I hope you have found someone kind to help you!

Back