• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Strange abscess (?) and utter panic

Aldridge

Aldridge

Strange abscess (?) and utter panic UPDATED

I have always loved the fact this forum is so non-judgmental, so I am posting this knowing I won't be belittled or dismissed as a total idiot/wimp. I have a routine appointment booked for next Tuesday, but all sorts of mouth problems have kicked off, all in the same quadrant. Firstly, it feels like there might be a wisdom tooth trying to come through (but I'm not sure). The tooth next to that seems OK. The one next to that feels as if it might have lost a little bit of its 23-year-old filling (again I'm not sure). My BIG worry is:- August Bank Holiday, I stupidly burnt the gum below and behind the base of the second premolar and first molar (the one which might have lost some of the filling) in that quadrant. It was sore for a couple of days, then developed what felt like a pinhole in the centre. I've kept it clean and used Corsodyl and it's no different now to one month ago. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't seem to be draining anything. I am utterly terrified that our dentist (who isn't one for hanging around) will just say everything needs to go. I feel sick and my heart's going like a woodpecker on speed just thinking about it. I am hopeless at being assertive. Would I be within my rights to suggest trying antibiotics? What is the root canal success rate if it comes to that? I know I'm jumping the gun. I'd just like to be prepared for all scenarios. Any help gratefully received, thank you!

Last edited:
I don't know if any other dentists can give much guidance based on the given information but in general root canals have a very high success rate and gum problems react very well to having the area well cleaned out and keeping it clean.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I know no-one can diagnose via the internet (unfortunately!) but it's good to have professional reassurance re root canals (if things come to that) as I've heard some horror stories...guess you only ever hear about the failures!

Root canals are like plane trips you only hear about the crashes

Abscess-Panic-Update

Went for my check-up yesterday, posted on here afterwards, once I had stopped shaking, and lost the whole post trying to amend the title. As well as being a dental phobic, I am rapidly becoming a technophobe. I was a bit gutted yesterday because as soon as I got in the surgery, I totally froze, and didn't ask anything I wanted to ask before the exam. No change there then.:( So I just let the dentist take a look round; he never misses anything anyway, lol, with or without my input. He said the wisdom tooth might well be lurking just beneath the surface of the gum, but to leave well alone and hope it stays there. (Suits me.) He never mentioned anything else, did a bit of cleaning, said my teeth were "in fine shape" (he didn't mention my gums though!) and to go back in a year. A year!:) I was flabbergasted; in fact my flabber has never been so gasted. So, what I would like to ask now is, how long do you good people think it should take a mouth burn/abscess to heal? Any tips for helping it to do so? I've been using Corsodyl. I can still feel the small "hole" in the gum, but he obviously doesn't think it's a problem. It's been there a month now. I also want to post a HUGE thank you to everyone on here 'cos knowing other people feel like me helps so much. You'll never know how much! xx

Back