• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

strange feeling/dry socket

D

dizzydebs

Hi all please bare with me as this is the 1st time i have posted.
Last wed(10/10/12)i had 3 bottom teeth removed at the back on my left side.2week before that i had 2 removed from the bottom on my right side..they healed perfectly in fact i had hardly any pain and didnt realised they had healed untill i went for the other 3 out.
Now with these 3 on the left side i bled from the 2 furthest at the back quite abit n the other 1 bled just slightly until the next day.im still having to take painkillers as the pain is still there although not as bad as what the toothache would feel like but still enough to make me wince slightly when painkillers ware off.Now aswel as the pain the holes that are there feel cold its like i have my mouth constantly open...its not sensitive to cold or hot but the gums/holes feel like theres always cold air over them and also the side of my tongue on left too that feels cold all the time.
I thought maybe it was the making of dry socket but the holes have white stuff in but still worried i may have dry socket or something else wrong.Also please dont tell me to poke at it or anything as im a wuss when it cones to pain and dont want to make it worse by messing with it.really sorry for the long post but ive tried looking on the internet and cant find anything.

Re: strange feeling

Hi, You do sound like you are going through the wars at the moment. I'm not a dentist but by the sounds of it you need to make an appointment with your dentist to get things checked if only to reassure you that all is well.

Give your surgery a call and explain things to the receptionist. Tell them that your are in pain and that should move them into action. You shouldn't be left feeling anxious, trying to figure out whats wrong.

Make the call dizzydebs :)

Re: strange feeling

Hi thanks for the post
I must admit before this it was years since id last seen a dentist purely because im lazy and very scared...even though im 27!!!
I was worried about going the 1st time as i knew i needed loads of work doing but got an infection on the 1st 2 i had pulled then they tild me all the other work which needed doing,i hold my hands up entirely as i know its my own fault im in this situation by not going for regular visits..i still need 2 more pulling and a couple of fillings too.

dry socket

Hi all slowly getting used to the site now.
Questions is i had 3 teeth out last wed (10/10/12),they were the 3 at the back on the bottom left side.i stil get a throbbing pain but it goes after my painkillers are taken but comes back when they ware off.Have i got dry socket?or is it just because they were pretty big teeth and they are all in a row.they all come out whole and only took about 20mins in fact i think waiting for the numbing to take affect was the longer wait as they wanted to make sure i was fully numb.
They put this stuff in the wholes to stop the risk of dry socket but because i get paranoid over every pain i get i worry...i realky dont think ive got wiser as iv got older just more of a wuss each year!my dentist is really nice and i could just ring her but thought id try here 1st before i bother her as i rang her a couple a week ago when i had my other 2 out about still being in pain and then the pain wrnt a couple of days after.
Am i being paranoid,because the teeth were bigger so the eholes were bigger and it will just take a little longer to heal?
I did post another yest about feeling cold air on then but it didnt hurt that has now stopped.
Jus maybe some peace of mind would be nice.
Ps this site is great wish id have found it sooner instead of reading horror stories and frightening myself stupid.

Re: dry socket

I don't think it will be dry socket, you are usually safe after the first 72 hours. I think your mouth just has to get used to the change and heal. If painkillers are removing the pain then it isn't dry socket, if you have dry socket, nothing will stop the pain except a trip to the dentist.

Don't worry it sounds like you are just healing. If you are still worried do ring your dentist and let them advise you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

another question about dry socket....sorry

Sorry but i know im being really paranoid but i cant help it.last wed i got 3 big teeth out on left side at bottom from the very back comeing to the front.i know ive been told that your most at risk for dry socket in the 1st 72 hours but is it possible to knock the granulation tisdue out and then get dry socket?is that what would happen if the granulation tissue wasnt there?the gums are very slightly starting to close together except the 2 very back 1s arnt as closed.im so petrified of pain in my mouth it unbelievable.

Sorry for the many posts about this

No it isn't possible to contract a dry socket after the granulation tissue has formed. You're completely out of danger of this now.

Make as many posts as you want or need to make, Gordon is a dentist and knows what he is talking about. You are doing fine and are healing well by the sounds of it, if you carry on with the salt water rinses it will help you in healing.

:hug5::there-there::hug5::there-there::hug5::butterfly:

Thankyou carole and gordon.
Feel silly posting about the same stuff its jus i get so worked up at the slightest pain in my mouth then my mind goes in overdrive and i assume the worst.
When i had my 1st 2 out i did the worst thing and googled and have been stressing ever since, although my dentist is the most lovely one i've ever been to doesn't mean i want to go back.
Thankyou so much for putting my mind at ease.Im sure my chap and mum think im being paranoid over nowt but i just do not like the dentist i thinks its more fear of pain in my mouth...give me labour any day.

Thankyou again.xx

Come and ask as many times as you want, we all go through times of panicing and ranting and being just plain scared. We do stress over things going wrong because none of us want to have to go to the dentist at all, never mind for treatment. I sometimes think the healing can be as bad as going because if we don't know what to expect it can be very scary.

Don't worry how daft you think something is to ask, there are always others out there that are wondering the same thing and by you asking they get their answer too.

So without knowing it you have helped a lot of other people too. Thank you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I told myself not to check my mouth anymore but just looked and the gum at the very back on bottom the granulation tissue isnt there anymore.Is that bad??
Woke up this morn and there wasnt be pain at all jus a slight ache which didnt bother me at all,now i have myself paranoid now ive seen the granulation tissue isnt there.

hi dizzydebs,
i'm no expert but i think you sound like you're on the way to a good healing. after all, a healed gum after a tooth is taken out, will eventually get to be a healthy shade of pink and by then the granulation tissue would have done its initial job and its time for it to kinda disappear.

Back