• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Strange hard line under outer bottom gum

B

boymom02

Hello,

I am a big time teeth clencher and have TMJ. Since July, I have had a lot of symptoms including ear pain, neck pain, etc. I have been waking up for the past few weeks with linea alba on my bad side and my cheek has been swollen so I nip it many times a day. My night guard is not fitting right so I haven't been wearing it as that causes additional pain. Yesterday, on the bad side I noticed, way down on the gum to the outside of my back molar a hard bump (it is a thin, hard line). When I look with a flashlight, there is a white line above it. You can only see it if I really pull my cheek out, as it way down in the crevice between my gums and my cheek. It is only tender if I push on it, like it is so sharp it is hurting the gum when I press it. Could this be related to clenching/tmj and maybe the cause of my other pain? Could it be why my cheek is swollen? I had a crack in the molar in front of that one a few months ago and have a crown now. The tooth nearest this hard bump is the only bottom molar that is my actual tooth. I see the dentist in a week and have an MRI scheduled for 2 weeks, but just thought I would ask as this new finding has thrown me into a little panic. Thank you!

Really can't help without seeing it.

If it's worrying you that much then couldn't your dentist have a quick peek for you?

Back