• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

strange pressure/lifting feeling in tooth.

J

jaretwoman

:cry:Hello. I've been having an odd sensation in one of my teeth. When I bite down on certain things(like nuts, bacon, chips) I feel a pressure in the middle of my tooth and then a slight lifting. I've never felt anything llike this before. I feel like it may be a loose filling, but nothing looks loose or different in the mirror at the area. I can't replicate the feeling by just biting against my own teeth alone. I'm starting to think I'm going crazy. I can't even pinpoint which tooth it is. Could this be the begining of a filling falling out, or a new cavity by the filling? I had Xrays done about 7 months ago and nothing was wrong. The fillings I had in that area are about a year old. Please help if you have any clue what this could be.

Is it an upper back tooth? Sinus problems can give these kind of maddening symptoms.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. It is on the bottom, left...between my molars and incisors. I have been having a few sinus issues though, too. (just sinus pressure in my head) If nothing shows up in an Xray, is my dentist going to think I'm crazy? lol

Samantha

I think all my patients are crazy for coming to see me in the first place. Your dentist is probably the same :)

The other thing I'd want to check is to see if there's a wee bit of food trapped between your teeth there, that can cause strange pain symptoms. Carefully use some floss to explore down between the teeth, see if you can retrieve some chicken (it's always chicken that seems to get stuck!).

I wonder if you might be describing a certain feeling that I've noticed my whole life... Is it like when you bite hard on something, it feels like the tooth "pops" down further into its socket by a tiny fraction of a fraction of an inch, and then a moment later, "pops" itelf back into its proper place? I don't think the tooth is actually moving; it just gives the sensation as though it were.

If it is the same thing, I'm afraid I have no idea what it is or what causes it. Your description just sounded familiar to me!

Your description sounds very much like what I am experiencing. I actually haven't felt it in a few days..but I've been real careful about how and what I eat. I am soo terrified of going to the dentist, I haven't been able to think about anything else...and I'm just getting a quick check-up. I know it is silly..I've had far worse problems! Oh well..I find out tomorrow morning, I'll keep you posted.

Samantha

I've never actually paid it much attention, to be honest. I guess it's because I've always had it; I'm used to it. It has never seemed to herald any sort of problem for me, and I really don't believe the teeth are actually moving, or at least, not in any significant way.

Let me know if your dentist does say anything about it! I'd be interested if it turned out to be an actual phenomenon and not just something my own little brain invented, lol.

Well, I just got back from the dentist and a crown was loose. I'm surprised cuz the crown was in the back of the mouth and the sensation was slightly more in the front...but I totally feel better now!!!

Samantha

I wonder if you might be describing a certain feeling that I've noticed my whole life... Is it like when you bite hard on something, it feels like the tooth "pops" down further into its socket by a tiny fraction of a fraction of an inch, and then a moment later, "pops" itelf back into its proper place? I don't think the tooth is actually moving; it just gives the sensation as though it were.

If it is the same thing, I'm afraid I have no idea what it is or what causes it. Your description just sounded familiar to me!

Im having that same thing happening to me! Its my upper right 4th of 5th tooth from the front right tooth (either the tooth behind my eye tooth or the 2nd one behind it!)....you explained it much better then I would have to my dentist -- who I will be seeing end of September...argghhh! Im hoping nothing is coming loose and I dont have a crown or anything there!!! Hopefully its nothing but a bite problem?

Back