• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Strange roots

K

Kinky_Kat

So I've been to the dentist as I had an abscess on the lower right molar. She has advised that it must come out as there is not much tooth to save. I've had an xray and it looks like my tooth has moved from the original spot resulting in a root that runs sideways and also hooks into the jaw.

I've been advised that I have to go the the dental hospital to have it extracted as any pressure is going to break the crown and due to its strange root it's best to ensure I have a positive experience.

My question is about this kind of extraction and if anyone has had experience with it? I'm absolutely terrified of having it removed as I don't want to have any stitches and its my only remaining back tooth on the lower right. Could anyone give some advice on what could be done and how difficult this will be? I've been advised sedation is the best course of action to correct it but being a bit of a control freak I'd rather find out more about it.

Thanks and sorry for the rambling.

This is how both of my lower wisdom teeth were. They were not easy to extract and, as a result, the experiences were quite traumatic. Like you, I am very much a control freak and I refused to have sedation. If I could have tolerated allowing for sedation, I'm sure it would have been much easier for me. I'm not saying this to scare you, but I think it's important for you also to a true accounting.

Thanks for this, glad to know I'm not the only one with strange roots :)

I've had sedation before and although he built up is unbearable I've always had a positive experience. I'm terrified about needing stitches or having my gum sliced whilst out.

I don't know if there is any alternative to extraction or if an implant would be a good idea. Hoping someone can give some advice :)

Just sharing - I was terrified about stitches and I just had gum flap surgery on Wednesday. Right now my whole left side (upper and lower) are all stitched up. I didn't feel a thing (minus 2 stitches in the front - but those didn't bother me at all... it was more like "Oh the needle is poking me" no real pain). My stitches will dissolve within 1-2 weeks and I have my dentist's okay to pull out any loose string after a week if I want to. Stitches are really not a big deal. I won't be giving anybody a big smile though - they don't really good great but after 3 days I barely notice them.

So if you have to get stitches for something, please don't worry about it :)

Back