• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Strange tissue/material over extraction site?

S

Sanktus

Hello there!

I was hoping maybe someone here would have some insight into a concern I am having.

I had my lower left wisdom tooth out about 12 hours ago.
About 6 hours ago, I noticed this strange opaque greyish colored film or tissue over the extraction site.
Is this normal? I have been searching the internet for an hour now and found nothing similar. I read about granulation tissue but from what I read, that tissue is almost a solid white.

This happened after leaving the gauze off for about an hour. I was told I had no need to re-gauze if the bleeding stopped, which it had.

I have included a picture. Excuse the minor blur. I dont have the best camera on my phone, but you get the idea of how its sitting in the site, and the color it is.

12021828_171831626486310_1997328487_n.jpg

Could this maybe be food? I have only eaten room temperature tomato soup, and some yogurt.

Is it infection? this soon?

Is this just a miraculous super fast healing?

Also, if it comes to be food or something, how do I go about rinsing my mouth out? (do I swish around the lightly salted water as if it were mouth wash? or do i just kinda move my head around letting it lightly swish?) I just want to make sure I am doing everything properly without causing problems. I for sure don't want to dislodge the clot, or end up with an infection.

Thanks for your time.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Firstly don't do anything until 24 hours after the extraction. When 24 hours has passed gently swish warm salt water around your mouth to aid healing. Do not spit or suck on straws, smoke etc... Let the water dribble out of your mouth. Once you have got to 72 hours after extraction you are usually safe from dry socket. Any food is usually moved when you rinse. If you get dry socket you will know as it is very painful and pain meds don't help, same with an infection. If this did happen don't stress because the dentist can give you almost immediate relief for dry socket it is very easily sorted out.

The site looks fine, but I am not a dentist. If you are worried then contact your dentist. :butterfly:

Re: Strange tissue/material over extraction site? So lost!

Hi :welcome: to the forum.
The site looks fine, but I am not a dentist. If you are worried then contact your dentist. :butterfly:

Thanks for the welcome!

I would phone my oral surgeon/dentist, but their office is closed until Monday morning...

I am not in any extreme pain, or anything alarming... just curious as to this mysterious growth. Never had a tooth out so I have no idea what to expect.

Just wanted to update with a new picture, whatever this thing/stuff is, its grown since last night.
Are you sure this looks fine?
I cant seem to find information on anything like this anywhere.
Its like a soft, tough jello like thing. Its attached to the site.
It just feels alien when I see it. Such temptation to take it off.
Even weirder that it looks like a tooth.

12028957_172323719770434_444509733_n.jpg

I just answered your other thread and it may be a bit of bone working its way through. Contact your dentist on Monday when they are open and let them have a look. If you have no pain or bad taste/smell you should be fine until then. If things change you could contact an emergency number. Does your dentist not have an emergency number :butterfly:

Back