• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Strange Tooth Discoloration?

F

flrancho

I was brushing my teeth after eating lunch today, after I'm done I always check my teeth to make sure I didn't miss anything that I can obviously see. While I was looking, I noticed that the back (side nearest the tongue) of one of my bottom front teeth has an area where it is slightly discolored a very light gray color. Flossed between the teeth thinking it was food and it didn't come out, scraped the area with my fingernail and it didn't come off then either.

I tried to inspect this closer and held up a small book light to the tooth. Once under the light the gray area disappears and becomes very white, whiter than the rest of my tooth. On closer inspection, there is also a very small gray area on the neighboring tooth that turns very white once hit with light.

I can only see the gray spot when looking at the tooth at a certain angle by changing my head position, or by moving the light around at different angles, but most angles the light held up to it makes the gray disappear into a very white color.

What could this discoloration be?

I would say tartar too....nothing a hygenist can't remove really easily.

Back