• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Stressed about my teeth. Bad experiences.

R

ReyCo

Hi all,
Im a newly registered member to this forum. I came across it googling "I have a lot of cavities". Its good to know there are other people like me that have gone through the same situations.
First, let me tell you I am a super shy and super anxious person. I am overweight and have low self esteem. If someone were to ask me why didnt you take care of your teeth, I would be able to point them to two things.
First, I am very shy and fear social interactions in general. But, on top of this, there are two experiences at the dentist that absolutely scared me and shamed me so much that I stood away from the dentist.
I recall one time going to the dentist at age 15. It was a regular cleaning and check up appointment and my teeth werent as bad as they are now. Everything was going normal as cleanings are simple and whatnot. Then the dental assistant decided that he would take it upon himself to tell me I am overweight and that I needed to lose weight. Im sure he was well intentioned but he kept going on and on and on. I just remember leaving and feeling so ashamed and in fear of having any more interactions like that.
To compound on top of that I fell into a sort of depression shortly after that. At that time, because I was overweight, I had a bad self image of myself and I did not maintain myself as I should have, especially my teeth. The last thing I wanted to do when I woke up everyday was to look in the mirror and brush my teeth. I hated my self and hated looking in the mirror. I stopped brushing my teeth because I didnt see the point. I was just broken.
Slowly over the years my teeth got worse and worse and I never went to the dentist much. Got a root canal and a crown which my dad had to pay for with a dental credit card which made me feel worse because I felt like a burden to him.
Fast forward, Im 21 and Im rushed to the dentist because one of my molars is hurting me like crazy. It was the worse pain I ever felt in my life. I go in and the dentist was very kind. I only had medicare dental insurance and he assured me that he would find a way for me not to have to pay the full bill. I appreciated it so much. But after the root canal he looks at me and says " at this rate youll lose all your teeth by the age of 24". I was scared to death. But even after that I did not brush as mush as i should have.
He refered us to a dentist who accepted medicare insurance and here I am. Its december of 2017. Im brushing my teeth and out of nowhere a piece of my front tooth comes out. I freaked out. Tried to make and appointment but my dentist was booked until january of 2018. During the wait for my appointment. Another peice of the same tooth breaks off. After my appointment, which was a cleaning and flouride treatment. Another peice of another tooth breaks off.
At this point ive already been brushing my teeth twice sometimes 3 times a day since December. I mean like full out militant about brushing my teeth. But Im fearing its too late and my teeth are going to all fall out.
Anyways, I get the fillings for those teeth and an interim dentist at the same dentist office tells me to take out my wisdom teeth on my right side because the bottom one was going to start hurting anyday and while he was at it might as well extract the top wisdom tooth. Also, decided to extract my tooth next to the top right wisdom tooth as that tooth was broken from being brittle due to the root canal I spoke of earlier and fixed a few more cavities.
The dentist told me I still have a lot more cavities that need fillings on my bottom row. The problem is that I only have about 200 dollars left of my 1000 dollar insurance coverage and I am still in college which means I am broke. The front office told me the 200 could pay for 2 more fillings or one more extraction. Remember, I still have the other two wisdom teeth on my left side accompanied by two teeth that will need root canals.
Of course, at this point, my focus is on these cavities because I do not want them to become root canal candidates.
Today, I brushed my teeth and decided to observe those cavities he spoke about. As I did this I notice even more cavities on my left side of the bottom row.
Needless to say, I was horrified. I cant believe Ive let it get this bad. Im so ashamed of it and embarrased. Thankfully, Im looking at a good tax return amount that will help me pay for these other cavities but I for sure cant afford the root canals nor the crowns.
Im just scared now of what that dentist told me as I am now 24 years old.Almost all my teeth have cavities or have had root canals performed on them. Ive dedicated all my time and effort now to caring for my teeth. Ive changed my diet and stopped drinking any sugar beverages and I drink everything through a straw to limit contact with my teeth. However, I am in constant fear that Ill wake up and find a tooth has fallen out or significantly broken off.
Im just desperate for any support, advice, anything.
I dont want to lose my teeth at such a young age.
Anyways, thanks for reading this if you did.
And if you read it all, I love you for it lol.
I hope to hear from you all.
Thank you for your time.

First of all, shame shame on that dental hygienist for saying anything about your weight. I think that was horrible 'bedside' manners. Secondly, losing your teeth is definitely scary especially when you are young. I was scared to go get mine looked at but I did and was informed that I need 4 pulled, plus 3 wisdom teeth pulled, fillings and a good cleaning. As I write this, I'm trying to stay calm as in a little more then an hour I will in a dentist chair getting teeth pulled. Take it one day at a time. Baby steps. These forums have been a lifesaver for me!!

First of all, shame shame on that dental hygienist for saying anything about your weight. I think that was horrible 'bedside' manners. Secondly, losing your teeth is definitely scary especially when you are young. I was scared to go get mine looked at but I did and was informed that I need 4 pulled, plus 3 wisdom teeth pulled, fillings and a good cleaning. As I write this, I'm trying to stay calm as in a little more then an hour I will in a dentist chair getting teeth pulled. Take it one day at a time. Baby steps. These forums have been a lifesaver for me!!

Thank you. I actually just came back from a check up on my wisdom teeth extractions and had a few fillings done, And still am in need of 3 to 4 more. Sadly, my insurance plan has reached its 1000 dollar limit so these fillings are gonna come out of my pocket. Thankfully, Ill have a bit of money from the tax refund im wating on. Currently, im optimistic about my dental care.

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery from the extractions you are having done. Remember to not mess with the blood clots that form after the procedure. I kept doing that and found out that it was normal to have there. Lol. Thankfully my extractions are healing nicely.
Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate it.

Hi ReyCo, well done for going despite your shyness and your previous bad experiences :thumbsup: - it's very disheartening to hear that some professionals would make such comments in this day and age :(.

It sounds as if you're now taking a very proactive approach towards keeping any problems down to a minimum, and you might be interested in these pages on our website (recently rewritten, so any feedback is appreciated):

How to prevent tooth decay

Preventing gum problems

All the best :grouphug:

Hi ReyCo, well done for going despite your shyness and your previous bad experiences :thumbsup: - it's very disheartening to hear that some professionals would make such comments in this day and age :(.

It sounds as if you're now taking a very proactive approach towards keeping any problems down to a minimum, and you might be interested in these pages on our website (recently rewritten, so any feedback is appreciated):

How to prevent tooth decay

Preventing gum problems

All the best :grouphug:

Thank you so much for your words. Yes, im trying to be proactive about my dental care.
I will definitely look into those links you have provided for more information. Thank you once again.

Hi ReyCo,

thank you for sharing your story with us. Sorry to hear about what your hygienist and the dentist told you back then and I understand that it kept you away from the dental office as soon as possible. Your dental team is supposed to help you and support you, not judge you.

Happy to hear that you changed your life style regarding oral health. The links letsconnect gave you are great and with proper oral hygiene you might be able to keep the cavities as they are without getting worse. This gives you some time to get the money for the fillings.

I can imagine that things can feel overwhelming at the moment and that you have a lot of anxiety to deal with but you should know that it's never too late and there are always options, no matter what the state of your teeth is. You decided to move forward and you are doing great.

People who managed to tackle their dental fear and sort their dental issues very often experience a huge shift in self-confidence. I am sure that you will be very happy and proud of you after you got through the needed dental treatment and along with your new habits it will help you to move forwards in many other seemingly unrelated areas in your life.

All the best wishes and keep us posted:)

Hi ReyCo,

thank you for sharing your story with us. Sorry to hear about what your hygienist and the dentist told you back then and I understand that it kept you away from the dental office as soon as possible. Your dental team is supposed to help you and support you, not judge you.

Happy to hear that you changed your life style regarding oral health. The links letsconnect gave you are great and with proper oral hygiene you might be able to keep the cavities as they are without getting worse. This gives you some time to get the money for the fillings.

I can imagine that things can feel overwhelming at the moment and that you have a lot of anxiety to deal with but you should know that it's never too late and there are always options, no matter what the state of your teeth is. You decided to move forward and you are doing great.

People who managed to tackle their dental fear and sort their dental issues very often experience a huge shift in self-confidence. I am sure that you will be very happy and proud of you after you got through the needed dental treatment and along with your new habits it will help you to move forwards in many other seemingly unrelated areas in your life.

All the best wishes and keep us posted:)

Im proud that I am now taking care of my teeth but at the same time ashamed I let it get this far.
Always in constant paranoia of toothaches or more cavities.
But your words helped alot. Thank you.

Back