• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Struggling with keeping dentures in

T

Tyboxasaurus

So I just recently had my full mouth extraction, and I have upper and lower dentures. I know the soft liner will help keeping the dentures in, but I have not been able to keep my dentures in at all. When I first got home I was coughing and gagging so bad, that the dentures came right out, and I have not been able to get them back in, or have them stay in. Even with using a bit of denture glue on the top of the denture on my tops. (after my first few day appt check and approval from the dentist). I have tried everything to get them in and stay somewhat in my mouth so I can try and get used to them, but nothing seems to work. I do go in for my soft line on Thursday , so I just don't know if I should keep trying to struggle to keep them in or wait for the soft line and see if that helps anything.

My full dentures won't stay in without using adhesive both top and bottom, so that's what I do every morning. To me that is quite normal, I've never had a full set that stay in of their own accord although many years ago I had partials which did. Strangely my father also had full dentures and never used adhesive to my knowledge, but he's no longer here to compare notes with. I don't understand though when you say " I have not been able to get them back in. " Surely if they went in once they will do again ??