• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Struggling with losing confidence

T

Tellers

I have always had a fear of the dentist which I have had since as far back as I can remember. I broke my front tooth at around age 10 and had to have it repaired. It never quite looked the same and I always felt self conscious about it.

My mother never really took me to see the dentist after this initial repair and I felt very embarrassed of my teeth growing up. They were crowded and crooked. My brother and sister on the other hand had beautiful straight teeth and never seemed to have any problems. I let my teeth fall into disrepair. And I didn't see the dentist for 20 years.

Last year I had a bad infection that really was my breaking point. I had to go. I booked an emergency appointment at my local dentist and asked my sister to come with me. The dentist was respectful and kind, she was not negative at all. I decided to book another appointment.

I went back and had 5 teeth removed in one go. I did well with the procedure, but it was the feeling after I struggled with. I felt down and in pain and its this feeling that stopped me going back for a year.

I spoke to my mum and she came with me today for a consultation. I need a few more teeth out and a couple of fillings. I will then be fitted for upper and lower partial dentures. I'm not embarrassed to see the dentist any more, but I am still scared.

My next appointment is in two weeks to have the three remaining extractions, I can finally see an end.

I have been reading this forum in secret since and it prompted me to start getting myself sorted. I'm so comforted by the support of this community and knowing that I am not alone.

I want to add that I am incredibly scared about continuing my treatment, but I know it needs to be done.

I think you have been incredibly brave in going to the dentist and getting as far as you have. Congratulations on your accomplishment. You should be genuinely proud of what you have achieved.
Its understandable you are still scared but you are absolutely right that you are not alone. Keep us updated on your progress and well done! ???

Thank you for sharing your story as that alone takes a lot of courage. You really have done incredibly well with coming as far as you have. I think it’s wonderful that you are able to have family members attend for moral support. Is your treatment being carried out under sedation?

I’m so impressed by what you’ve had done already and for having the next appointment on the books.

I do understand about the feelings after the procedures. Pain is so overwhelming. Would it help to have a plan for managing the pain and the overwhelm afterwards? Does having a RX help, or a follow-up appointment to check on things?

Well done on getting treatment started! The fear of upcoming treatment is with me as well. I have had a year of dental misery.

Like you, I also broke my front tooth as a child, and the filling they put on it never really looked or felt right. I also had crowded, crooked teeth, and know exactly what you mean when you say it made you uncomfortable and embarrassed. I actually did go to the dentist regularly, but had some traumatic experiences that created my fear.

I have quite a bit more work to be done as well, and it is overwhelming sometimes. I try to remember that the end result will be worth it!

I am glad you have someone to go with you and support you. Good luck on your next part of your treatment plan.

Hi thank you all for your support, I have honestly been reading this forum in secret for so long. It was reading the stories of everyone here that gave me a bit of courage to go in the first place.

I have not had any sedation, but I do find the injections to be quite traumatic. My dentist is very understanding and talks me through everything as it will happen. She also helps me to count my breathing during the injections, which I find very helpful.

I do feel incredibly down when I am not feeling well, I think this is the main reason I put off getting the work done for so long. I finish work early afternoon and my partner gets home a lot later so I find myself alone a lot of the time. Nothing worse than wallowing in your own self pity ?

Hi Tellers and welcome, lovely to have you as a member after some "lurking" time :)

I was sorry to read about your childhood experience, having a front tooth that doesn't look nice and then two siblings who have awesome teeth while being unhappy with yours, that sounds really hard. Given the fact that you haven't been for 20 years before your emergency appointment, having another one year break is nothing. As mentioned in the other posts, you are doing amazingly. Getting back to dental care is a journey and it is not linear. Many people have one or more breaks along the way. The important thing is to have a kind caring dentist who can help you, not only with the treatment itself but also with any possible discomfort or doubts afterwards. Reading about how your dentist works with you it sounds like you have found one - is this the same dentist who did your treatment one year ago?

The evening being a hard time of the day as you have a lot of time to think about things makes sense and finding this out is maybe the first step to finding a way to cope with it.

Injections is a huge one and this is where even a very brave people can get really nervous. You mentioned this part being traumatic but your dentist helping you to breath and having talked you through. Did you find that experience traumatic as well?

All the best wishes and keep us posted