• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Successful wisdom removal

L

Leafs

I've been reading the forum for awhile, but hadn't been posted.

I'm a 30 year old female, who was terrified to get my teeth out. The pain began last month, and I couldn't imagine anything being worse than that, and had to take Hydrocodone for pain management when it was bothering me.

I had 3 regularly erupted teeth, and 1 impacted, so it was going to be a straight forward pull for most of them.

This morning I arrived at 8am for my appointment, very nervous. After talking with the doctor, and nurse, we got me set up in the surgery room. I was having IV sedation, but I was still nervous I would remember or hear things during it.

For me, I don't remember anything. I was talking to the dentist about hockey, and next thing I knew I was is a bed, down the hall in recovery with my husband. :jump:

Being that it was my first time being sedated, I thought the entire experience was bizarre, but glad that I was not awake during any of it. Seems like it took about 30 mins from right before I knocked out, until I woke up.
After waking up (I was surprised that I wasn't groggy?), I headed home stopping to get my prescription filled and some french fries, per recommended by my dentist.

It's been almost 12 hours now, and I'm in no pain - yet. I've been keeping ice on all day. I managed to eat small portions of potatoes, mac & cheese and pudding today with little difficulty. I've also been taking my medication consistently - alternating with IBP & Hydrocodone. I'm not swollen very much either.

I'm sure the worst is still yet to come, as I expect the pain to hit eventually, but I'm so glad it's over, and I feel so much better. I feel silly being so scared about it.

So to anyone who is scared, and debating it - It'll be okay. I know not everyone has the same experience, but in the end most people have a positive one, you just don't hear much about it. ;)

Thanks for the forum - the positive reading help prepared me for the experience.

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Well done you for going and getting it done, I am really pleased for you that you have had no pain. Not everyone has pain, everyone is different.

I hope you continue to heal well, all the best to you :butterfly:

L

Leafs

Thanks!

It's been over 4 days now since my removal, and I feel great. No pain, no dry socket! :jump: