• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Such a burden lifted!

• Thread starter Shakinginmyboots
  • Start date
S

Shakinginmyboots

I don’t even know when my phobia kicked in, but it did. I came from a big Irish family and dental visits were for those with toothaches only. I made my first appointment at age 19. When I went to work and got dental insurance I went regularly. I always dreaded it, but I went.
Fast forward and I am married with children, we moved to a new town and I went to a new dentist. They were impossible to get appointments so I changed. This second place hygienist would hound me every time to get X-rays from previous dentist. I kept putting it off, and decided to find yet another dentist rather than deal with her. Months turned to years. I was paying tuitions, working, etc and kept putting it off.

Years and years pass.i worry constantly about the state of my teeth and gums. I am embarrassed when people talk about going to the dentist, can they tell I don’t go?

I say enough is enough, but the thought of picking up the phone paralyzes me. I can’t do it. I can’t tell anybody.
I just can’t imagine walking in the door and going to the chair.

So last month I have pain in my ear, jaw. I call this place that people in my town rave about in the town Facebook page.

All those years of dreading this moment and it is here. I told the woman on the phone I was embarrassed and she was kind. I went in for toothache so they took me for that the next day. Ends up it was not a toothache, I had shingles and sores were forming in the 24 hours since I made the appointment. So they said come back for cleaning and exam in 3 weeks, after shingles go away.

So just that 10 minutes there let me know they were nice people.

Today was the appointment, first one in maybe 15 years. I was pretty calm on the outside but my Fitbit was registering 115 beats per minute. My teeth were badly stained and the hygienist was a lady I know from church. I wanted to die. She was super nice and did a great job. It was not bad at all. I told her I was nervous and she kept talking .she said you don’t seem nervous, are you zoning out? Yes, I was zoning out! The dentist was a young woman , very nice. I grind teeth and need 3 fillings replaced and a night guard. I was thrilled. Was positive I needed much more work!

I think in my case it was just a matter of walking in the door. I could not imagine walking in, can’t even stand commercials for tooth paste. Am so glad I did it and wish I had saved myself years of worry. Just make the call, you will be glad you did!

Look at you. Well done.

Enjoy the sense of peace and accomplishment: you have earned it.

Shakinginyourboots

Job well done in facing your fears and walking in courageous! Glad you got a good report. Sounds like you found a great safe place for dental work and to build some positive momentum :) :)....

Congrats! Thank you for sharing your success story as I am sure you will inspire many others to do the same! Not sure how I would feel about knowing the hygienist outside of the office but sounds like it worked out. Kudos to you for speaking up and letting them know that you are nervous.

Congrats! Thank you for sharing your success story as I am sure you will inspire many others to do the same! Not sure how I would feel about knowing the hygienist outside of the office but sounds like it worked out. Kudos to you for speaking up and letting them know that you are nervous.
Yes, I was not happy about knowing the hygienist , she is not on their web site. She was really nice though, totally calmed me.

Many congratulations from one survivor and thriver to another! Wishing you continued success on your dental journey. Simon XX

Back