• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Such conservative treatment really necessary?

I just got another recommendation for an actual Endo place, so I’m going to find out if they take my plans too. It’s tough, NYC is notorious for doctors taking insurance only out of networkand dentists are worse. But I’m determined not to go back to the last guy. My husband says not to worry about it, but baby costs are high so I want to avoid this too, while still taking care of it.

I've gotten 2 root canal retreats in the last few months. the first by an endo because it was a more difficult one with 4 roots.. then I just got one today with my dentist who is an emergency dentist with over 10 years experience. so..he has alot of experience. I felt he was very careful and had great technology and I had a great experience with both.. I feel like a great experienced dentist will know when to refer , like he did for the first one for me, but knew he could do the 2nd. I hope that you find the right person that is affordable and you are comfortable with!!

Finally got up the nerve to book an appointment with a new dentist. It took a while, but I did it. He comes recommended from a trusted friend, his website lists "hand holding" as one of the "amenities" they offer along with team and water with lemon, which is reassuring. As a bonus, they take both of my dental insurance plans so onward and upward, right!

Hi there. Just wanted to say if you’re in nyc, I had a great experience with an endodontist very recently for a root canal. It WAS expensive - about $2500 for me before insurance reimbursement, and the reimbursement was laughable - but a REALLY positive experience. I called 20+ endodontists in the city and outside and they all quoted $2100-2900 for the root canal. My dentist did the crown which was another $2800. Happy to share the endo’s info with you if you like. Mine was tooth 15, all the way in the back on top.

Agreed re: finances. It is awful. We have to cancel a vacation we have planned, the second we’ve canceled. One was a few months ago when a pet was critically ill and we burned through savings (he’s better now and no regrets) and now because of my mouth. Very hard. In my case though before this year I spent $0 on my mouth ever, so trying to keep that in mind.

Good luck, hope everything goes well.

Hi there. Just wanted to say if you’re in nyc, I had a great experience with an endodontist very recently for a root canal. It WAS expensive - about $2500 for me before insurance reimbursement, and the reimbursement was laughable - but a REALLY positive experience. I called 20+ endodontists in the city and outside and they all quoted $2100-2900 for the root canal. My dentist did the crown which was another $2800. Happy to share the endo’s info with you if you like. Mine was tooth 15, all the way in the back on top.

Agreed re: finances. It is awful. We have to cancel a vacation we have planned, the second we’ve canceled. One was a few months ago when a pet was critically ill and we burned through savings (he’s better now and no regrets) and now because of my mouth. Very hard. In my case though before this year I spent $0 on my mouth ever, so trying to keep that in mind.

Ugh that’s the worst! But sadly that’s way way way out of budget. Both of my insurance plans are PPO and this guy is in network so I don’t have to pay out of pocket first, thankfully, but I couldn’t afford to at that price, even if I wanted to. I’m 8mos pregnant and the expenses for our out of network midwife take precedence but even if I wasn’t - my husband was quoted at nearly $3k for an implant so I cannot imagine a root canal costing that much. If a root canal were nearly $3k I’d have to have the tooth pulled, full stop. That’s wild! My first one wasn’t even that much and insurance covered 60% of it - we only paid maybe $300 out of pocket (that was Columbia Doctors Dentristry). And my husband had to pay that. $3k is nearly 2mos of my take home pay.

Gonna have to take my chances with this guy & his expertise or recommendation to someone else ?

Sorry to hear about the financial part of it , that really stinks .. I'm the same way cancelling other things to do dental work... at the same time being really thankful for finding excellent care...I hope this guy works out for you Mary NYC and isn't out in left field pricing..

Sorry to hear about the financial part of it , that really stinks .. I'm the same way cancelling other things to do dental work... at the same time being really thankful for finding excellent care...I hope this guy works out for you Mary NYC and isn't out in left field pricing..

I feel confident it’ll be fine because with my plans being in network, he has to use the network negotiated rates. And last year for my last one, I didn’t even have the second plan I have now so I’ll be “double” covered a bit ?? I know it’ll cost me a bit out of pocket because my cleaning will use up some of my yearly max, but one of the plans doesn’t even have a yearly max! I can afford some out of pocket - but thousands is out of the question.

So great to hear and wow double dentist coverage is great!! Very nice!

They coordinate benefits so the primary covers and then they can also bill to the secondary. I’ve never done it before but know my mom did it with hers & my dads when I was a kid. It doesn’t pay out twice but the secondary can reduce the out of pocket costs.

Back