• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sudden pain when eating anything.

S

swrmxs

Hi all, first post and sorry if it is a bit long but have a lot to cram in.

So i don't think have the best dental health as i have broken/missing teeth and haven't brushed properly in a while but i am starting to brush twice a day and as thoughurly as possible to help.

Anyway i recently began feeling sudden and sharp pain when biting into food especially on the right side where i had been suffering toothache although there is some pain on the left but it's not as sudden or painful. I only really feel it when i bite down onto food no matter if it's soft bread or anything harder but it just ends up hurting real bad for a upto a minute or so before calming down.

To be honest i haven't been to a dentist in years certainly not the last 5 and maybe more mainly because ever since i can remember i have had this dislike or even fear of them poking around my teeth and having to use those tools which in some cases made me feel like i wanted to be sick every now and again.

I do want to go to the dentist to get any problems fixed and a i have family member who is going to make me an appointment but although i know i need to go and know it's a good thing i still have a fear of having to actually go whenever that will be.

I hope you can help with my problem as much as possible and chime in with advice on my fear of going to dentist.

It could be a lot of things. Pain on biting (only) sounds like a cracked tooth...but its tough to tell without looking at xrays and inside your mouth. You're taking a big step by making the appointment. The dentist is there to help you and if you feel uncomfortable at any point just convey your concerns to him/her. You'd be surprised how many are willing to listen. If not, then find someone who will work with you. Keep it up and good luck!

Thanks for the response.

I've been asked many times to make a dental appointment for myself and haven't but this time my sister is making me one so although not looking forward to it i will have to go to hopefully get any problems fixed.

Had this pain again today when eating which is annoying because beforehand i was pain free but i wasn't paying attention to where i was eating and bit down on the side that i shouldn't have. There is a small amount of pain still here but it's not too bad and maybe more annoying than painful.

I don't know if i can do anything to stop any pain each time i get it at least temporary till i get a confirmed dental appointment.

Had this pain again today when eating which is annoying because beforehand i was pain free but i wasn't paying attention to where i was eating and bit down on the side that i shouldn't have. There is a small amount of pain still here but it's not too bad and maybe more annoying than painful.

I don't know if i can do anything to stop any pain each time i get it at least temporary till i get a confirmed dental appointment.

Hi,
From your description, the most likely cause is a cracked tooth as decan suggested. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to prevent the pain other than avoiding biting on it (which you are doing already).
The treatment options will depend entirely on how badly it is cracked.
Small crack – filling or crown.
Medium crack – possible root canal treatment
Bad crack – extraction.
Your dentist will be able to run through the pros and cons of the various treatment options. Make sure you tell the dentist how anxious you are feeling as he or she should then take extra care to help you though treatment.
Hope it goes well.

Lincoln

No matter what happens i know it's not going to go well but as long as it's not as bad as i thought/am thinking it will be then i can't see it being too much of a problem not that it will make me any less nervous or anxious for any future times.

I know my dad hated the dentist so maybe i got some of my fear from him although he'd rather suffer than go whereas i want to go as it is the only option to get things sorted out.

Back