• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Suggestions for Novocain exposure therapy?

N

Nelalvai

One of the things I find most triggering at dental visits is the Novocain. Specifically the little swab they use before injecting more. When they use the swab I swear I can feel the Novocain sliding down my throat and it makes me want to gag.

My therapist suggested finding foods that simulate that sensation, so I can get used to it. Any ideas what I could use? I don't know many foods that are thick and slimy.

Hi Nelalvai,

before you start desensitization, it may be interesting to find out whether your dentist works in a way that the anesthetic actually may be dropping somewhere it shouldn‘t. Maybe they could be a bit more careful or make sure to use suction so that nothing goes aside.

With desensitization, I can recommend lozenges against sore thoat. Many of them contain lidocaine that has a numbing effect and it may be similarly uncomfortable like how anesthetic that got to a wrong spot feels.

Back