• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Suing a dentist for treatment that will result in loss of a tooth?

O

orangatang

Hi,

I am looking for advice about my options regarding suing a dentist for malpractice. I will loose a tooth due to a crown where the post was inserted straight through the root canal(which is shaped like a curve) and out the other side. I have been to the dental hospital to see if it can be saved but was told the hole in the root is too large to repair and there is infection which has been there since the crown was fitted 2 years ago.
I am devastated and im not sure what to do. I only found out because I changed dentist and he took x-rays.

I have not been back to the Dentist who did the work but I am thinking about going down a legal route. My new Dentist talked about an implant but said the cost was over £1000. The Dental hospital said a bridge but im not happy at loosing the tooth. The original crown was preventative because the tooth had a large filling in it and the Dentist said it would be the best thing to do.

I dont know how long I can leave the crown in place, I really cant face getting it taken out, I havent has a tooth out since I was 10 and the experience of the gas still freaks me out to this day.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.

I would discuss with your dentist about how long you can leave this tooth before having it extracted it might be okay until it flares up with the infection.

An implant would depend on if your gums and bone is okay for it to be done. But again the dentist you are seeing is the best person to talk to this about as he can see your mouth.

As for suing the dentist that did the damage, I don't know how you would go about this. You could ring solicitors and see what advice they give you and if you have a case or not that they would take on.

I have a bridge that covers a gap from a missing tooth it is actually covering 2 gaps, two teeth are being used as anchors for it which does mean that enamel has been removed from the two teeth for it to be stuck on. I have had it for over 20 years and it feels just like my other teeth, you do need to clean it a bit different but I have always managed with it. I don't know about how an implant feels as I haven't had one.

As for getting the crowned tooth removed it is very different from when you were a child, no more gas, they will numb the area well, then prepare the tooth and before you realise it, they will have lifted the tooth out. They don't pull them, it is a gentle lift and it is gone.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Back