• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

suitable forms of sedation for dental work to be carried out

L

lillian

On my previouse visit to my dentist a few months ago I had to have a tooth pulled, my dentist didn't leave the injection to work properly and began pulling it out straight away, I was in alot of pain and asked him to stop but was told it was just presure I was feeling and not pain and he began again I felt the roots snap off when he pulled and again told him to stop, he ignored me and kept going no matter what I said or did. After, I left the room with blood all over my face and with an even bigger phobia of dentists! It took alot for me to get in the chair in the first place and now i'm petrified of going back, I have a phobia of needels and people being in my face or breathing on me, also knowing that the equipment has been in someone elses mouth (even though it has been sterilised) makes me feel ill. I have been quoted by my dentist that I would need about £800 worth of work not including the 4 false teeth I would need to get, I want to know if ther is any other form of sedation which will work faster and stronger so I am unaware of whats going on around me. I live on the west coast of scotland about 80miles from Glasgow and don't know where to go to ask, I'm certainly not going back to my dentist again!!!!!

Lilian
So sorry to hear what happened. I strongly recommend you make a formal complaint to the GDC on the grounds of inadequate anaesthesia and assault.

If it happened as you describe he needs stopping from providing care.

The good news is if you can get to Glasgow, you could go to see Mike Gow who will not cause you pain like that as many posters on here can testify.

There are other decent dentists in Glasgow/Scotland as well

If he wasn't going to provide you with proper pain relief you might as well have had a friend pull it out with pliers instead (only joking) but I am truly shocked by your account:o. One of the worst I have ever heard and I almost hope you are just trolling so this didn't really happen to someone. I have to ask this - was there a language barrier at all...was this a UK trained dentist? Given the 800 pound quote was this an incompetent private dentist?

If you can only go the NHS route, you could ask to be seen by the Community Dental Service instead - they also wouldn't keep working if you asked them to stop since it would get them in big trouble and they are there to help phobic patients.
As you suspect, you are entitled to adequate anaesthesia for dental and medical care in the UK - make sure you and others get it by not letting bad practitioners like him get away with such shoddy care...pressure not pain lol....perhaps he'd like a few of us on here to come round and pull his tooth with no LA.
:grouphug:

NB There's info on sedation here:

but personally I reckon you don't really need it you just need a nice competent caring dentist...however Mike does offer sedation if you want it.
Even with sedation options, you still need a practitioner you like and trust...clearly trust and a stop signal which will be acted on are essential things for you going forward from this bad experience.

Your first appointment with any new dentist should just be a 'chat only' appt where they can explain how they would protect you from a repeat of this experience and where you would decide if they were worthy of your trust.

Last edited:
Brit is right on with her advice and about Drmike. He is an administrator on the forum. He has a practice in Glasgow and is one of the best in the world with people suffering from dental phobia. He is also a sedation expert. He is an extremely nice person and would be a great person to chat with for ideas and direction.

The dentist never should have proceeded when you were feeling discomfort. That is wrong and unprofessional. That is abuse and needs to be reported. I am saddened were subjected to this type of treatment.

I live in California and specialize in dental anxiety. I have many free tools and techniques I would be happy to give you to help. If you are interested, PM me.

Blessings :)

thank you very much to both of you. I would love to hear of any techniques to help me i'l try anything at the moment as I desperatly need to have the treatment or I fear I will end up losing nearly all my teeth by the time i'm 30!! And for your question Brit, my dentist is from pakistan but speaks very clear English, I thought it was just me being too big a wimp and that he wasn't as patient as most other dentists. I will try find out more about dentists in the Glasgow area and try the dentist you both have recomended, although i fear it would be hard with the traveling.

I thought it was just me being too big a wimp and that he wasn't as patient as most other dentists. I will try find out more about dentists in the Glasgow area and try the dentist you both have recomended, although i fear it would be hard with the traveling.

You can take it from multiple posters and 'happy dental campers' on here that it is always worth travelling a bit to find/keep a dentist who won't treat you the way you were.
Sounds like it was a different cultural attitude to pain and pain relief but a dentist registered with the GDC should be practising fully anaethetised dentistry regardless of their cultural/training background. Some Eastern european country-trained dentists can be a bit slow to realise this as well based on posts on here.

Out of interest, what was the Assistant doing while you were asking him to stop..technically she's there to protect you...but they don't seem to realise this often. This is why you shouldn't leave kids alone with just anyone...if they can treat adults like that, what on earth happens to kids in their care? You get my drift..please do yourself a favour and go see Mike.
You'll go from :hidesbehindsofa: to :cloud9: by all acounts.

she was out the room getting supplies, i'l look mike up and try get an app, Thank you very much!!

Back