• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

supernumerary tooth

K

katkat

Former Member
Hi,
My brother (age 28) felt pain on his right first premolar and decided to go to the dentist.
Soon the dentist discovered a gumboil and pus coming out.
He took an X-ray and found out that he has an supernumerary tooth
(another premolar).
The supernumerary premolar was exactly above his permanent premolar and the dentist decided to extract the permanent tooth in order to give space to the supernumerary one to come down.
It is 1 month now since the extraction and my brother still has pus coming out (the doctor did not give him antibiotics,he said that there's no need to cause we should not take antibiotics to much).

Anyway...i was a little worried about the whole thing so i called my uncle who is a dentist to get a second opinion...

He told me that maybe the dentist SHOULDN'T extract the permanent tooth but remove the supernumerary tooth instead.
And the reason is that in that age (28) supernumerary teeth usually do not come down in adult people!!

And he advised me that now if the extra tooth don't come , my brother should visit an orthodontist to carefully pull the tooth down with orthodontic devices.

Any suggestions about all these???

Thank you

katkat

Last edited:
Difficult to advise on this one with no xray.
I would agree however that an orthodontic opinion would be a good idea at this stage.

Antibiotics are often not the answer- but I think that it isn't a good thing if there is still infection there. An orthodontist may suggest 'exposing' the supernumeray to encourage it to erupt into the space- and this might also help to get rid of the infection. As your uncl said- they may also consider an appliance to help it move to the right place.

So in short my advice is- visit an orthodontist and take it from there.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dr Mike

Thank you very very much for your reply. I will probably encourage my bro to visit an orthodontist. he he he:devilish:

One last question ... do u know how long does it take for a new tooth to come down in normal conditions.it might take like 6 months?
I am not talking about wisdom teeth which can take yearsssssssssss to show up lol

Thank again mate!

Back