• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Support needed please

B

Beetee

New member here. Just lost half of one of my side teeth, the outside part. Absolutely terrified of going to the dentist. Haven't been for twenty years since I had wisdom teeth out when sedated with Valium. My husband was my rock and steadying hand but he died recently and now I'm panicking. Looking for a caring dentist in woking but not much luck at this time of Friday evening. No pain luckily but it looks horrible. Any kind words would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Beetee,

As bad as the tooth looks, this is a pretty common thing for a dentist to see, and they should be able to fix you up without any pain. Since you aren't in pain there's probably no problem waiting until you can get an appointment, though I'd say probably try not to chew much with that side of your mouth.

I went back to the dentist last spring after 15+ years away, and had to go due to a really bad toothache. I was terrified, but they treated me so kindly, and the gentle dentist had me out of pain and fixed up in about an hour. Let them know you're terrified when you call, and you'll usually get extra compassion and TLC.

Keep calm, you'll get through this, and you'll soon be posting here about how easy and painless it all was.

Hang in there, sweetie!

Hi Beetee,
So sorry for the recent loss of your husband. Everything Steve has said is correct. Best thing you can do is identify what about dentistry scares you and communicate these things to the dentist that you see. Most dentists are very understanding about patient's fears and compassionate and genuinely want to help. Is there a close friend that you can confide in about your fears who may be able to come along with you for moral support? It sounds like you would benefit from having somebody with you. Personally, I'm a loner when it comes to dental appointments but some people find that it really helps!

Hi Steve and Kitkat. Oh my word, you guys do know what you're talking about!!!!! From the depths of panic on Friday to complete and utter happiness today. I found a fantastic lady dentist in the next village to Woking and got an appointment this morning. She listened to my worries and talked me through every single thing she was doing. I felt no pain WHATSOEVER and didn't even need a numbing injection. The tooth has been repaired and looks as good as new. Why have I spent the last twenty years of my life worrying about this - what a waste of time. You'll be pleased to know that I am going back again next week so that we can talk through everything else that needs attention. Thank you so very much - your words got me through these past few days xxx