• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Surgery + IV sedation tomorrow! TERRIFIED :(

C

coffeeandfear

I couldn't sleep last night thinking "if I go to sleep, tomorrow will be here and then Monday is only the day after" and when I finally did fall asleep, I woke up crying thinking "Oh crap, tomorrow is the day." I've been a mess since I woke up and I can't calm down thinking that somehow the IV sedation is going to kill me or the infection in my mouth is going to spread and I'm going to die right there in the chair.

I know it's irrational thinking, yep that's it tomorrow I'm going to die but my fear is so crazy right now. I've never had IV sedation done before (not even gas mask) so I keep thinking once they put in the IV I might never wake up again. What if I'm allergic to the solution and I don't know it until it's too late?!

ahhhhhhhhhiogrhtlejkrh not only is this the first time I'm using IV sedation it's also the first time I'm taking six teeth out at once (the most I've done is two)

Well, even if you did have some sort of allergic reaction, you wouldn't die! You'll be in the hands of professionals who are trained to spot any signs of a bad reaction immediately, and they would simply stop administering it, and get your reaction treated, and you would be fine. Trust me, they're very well prepared for pretty much anything!

As for the infection spreading and killing you right there - well it doesn't work like that. Even if the infection did spread, it would make you ill well before it killed you, giving you time to go get treatment, and again you'd be fine.

I know that it's an illogical fear though, a deep fear of the unknown. When I had general anesthetic for tooth extractions, I thought I was going to die too. There was crying involved. The anesthesiologist promised me I'd be fine, but I still cried. However, I didn't die, and neither will you.

Tooth extractions are pretty quick, so you won't be sedated for long either. :)

I couldn't sleep last night thinking "if I go to sleep, tomorrow will be here and then Monday is only the day after" and when I finally did fall asleep, I woke up crying thinking "Oh crap, tomorrow is the day." I've been a mess since I woke up and I can't calm down thinking that somehow the IV sedation is going to kill me or the infection in my mouth is going to spread and I'm going to die right there in the chair.

I know it's irrational thinking, yep that's it tomorrow I'm going to die but my fear is so crazy right now. I've never had IV sedation done before (not even gas mask) so I keep thinking once they put in the IV I might never wake up again. What if I'm allergic to the solution and I don't know it until it's too late?!

ahhhhhhhhhiogrhtlejkrh not only is this the first time I'm using IV sedation it's also the first time I'm taking six teeth out at once (the most I've done is two)

Let me know how it goes today. Your fears are exactly the same as mine! I have my sedation tomorrow. I have exactly the same feelings as you.

You will be okay!!! My surgery (with IV sedation) is today as well and I'm sure you'll be fine. This is my third time with IV sedation and let me tell you that you will not die/never wake up again, anesthesiologists are very well trained and will monitor your condition very closely so they can administer the correct amount of medication needed for you personally. Your oral surgeon would not be comfortable putting you under IV sedation if he thought you were at any risk at all for dying, as well as your anesthesiologist. They take a very large burden upon them with your safety and would not do anything to jeopardize it.

Also, no infection can spread and kill you in the time that you will be in that dentist chair. It is a longer process than you'd think. Your surgeon will address the infection and maybe even clean it out, and then probably put you on antibiotics post-op! You will be more than good to go!

I'm wishing you the best and I'll be right there with you recovering if that helps! This is my third and final surgery. Let us know how it goes!

You are in good hands!!:):)

Let me know how it goes today. Your fears are exactly the same as mine! I have my sedation tomorrow. I have exactly the same feelings as you.

I survived!!! I'm back home now, it's been two hour since the surgery and i'm already siting in my bed on my laptop, so that's good news right!? I won't lie though I am in A LOT of pain since it was six extractions, but nothing you can't handle :) Also not groggy at all

I spent the entire night crying, the entire day crying, and to make matters worse... I cried so much I gave myself post nasal drip. So then I started panicking I was going to choke in the chair, which then led to MORE anxiety and I gave myself ACID REFLUX. I hadn't eaten in eight hours, I was crying, I had post nasal drip, I couldn't drink water, and there was acid being thrown up into my mouth (and I couldn't wash it down) so basically I was 10 seconds from cancelling the appointment but I told my nurse and dentist all this and they didn't seem to be nervous, just asked me if I was feeling TRULY sick or if it was all from nerves even the acid which it definitely was ...

They strapped me up to a bunch of heart monitors, gave me tiny little breathing tubes in my nose, and to calm me down for the IV they gave me nitrous. I'm head strong so I didn't feel a single thing from the nitrous, doc told nurse to give me more, she did and for some BIZARRE REASON i laughed out of nowhere. Maybe they juiced it up too much but hearing that small nervous laughter from my own self calmed me down some, then the IV went in (which hurt, I hate needles and my veins play hide in seek when i need them the most so it's just me) and then... it started. I remember bits and pieces. I remember complaining when it started to hurt, I remember whining when I felt too much pressure. I don' know if it was just me but I definitely remember ten uncomfortable minutes ...which sounds scary but because of the sedation itself, I did not care. I have a HUGE fear of pressure on my jaw, but he kept tugging and pulling and i was just 8) this sucks but oh well, and when i'd whine it was like HEY IT HURTS but i guess it's okay just finish was kind of my thought process

so 4 molars surgically removed, two teeth extracted, a whole lot of blood and jaw pressure pain but I am alive and you will be fine :)

Yay I am so happy for you!! Seems like the anxiety for you was worse than the actual procedure, as it was with mine today! Good for us haha :)

Back