• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Surgery tomorrow - Looking for reassurance!

A

alferrell95

Hi there!

I’m new here and created an account because I’m scheduled to have my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning. I know that I will have at least 3 out. They are all still below the gum line but seem to be growing in straight, but my teeth can’t accomodate them so they need to go.

I’m super nervous because I have never had any type of surgery or been under anesthesia ever. I think I’m mainly worried how I will react to the anesthesia, I’ve heard some people throw up afterwards and I have a serious phobia of throwing up. I’m only doing IV sedation though, not general anesthesia. Anyway, I’m not really nervous for the pain as I have a fairly high pain tolerance, I think it’s mainly going under that freaks me out. I guess I’m just looking for reassurance that everything will be okay and this community seems really supportive so I thought I’d post!

Alferrel,

Really good for you for setting up this appt, coming on here and writing and going through this for your oral health! I don't know how many people throw up from Anesthesia but I can tell you that I"ve had it several times and once within the past few months for another medical procedure it was smooth as ever actually no real side effects except some tiredness but really not more than just waking up from a nap. and sedation several times and myself never threw up. so that is one story. I'm scared everytime though, its anestheisa/sedation and I hate being kind of out of control or awareness. The technology and education on this now is amazing though and so you are most likely to get through this very well. The worst part will be just getting to sleep and walking through the door tomorrow. after you lay down in that chair it will be over before you know it and going home to rest. remember not to eat after midnight.. as far as I understand they always say to keep your system clear that will decrease your chances of anything coming back up.

Please let us know how it goes!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I personally had general anaesthesia when I needed to extract 4 wisdom teeth and 4 premolars extracted. I slept very well and woke up 15 mins after my surgery ended. I didn't really have any negative side effects after, with the exception of a sore throat from the intubation tube and remember my head feeling like I had a mild case of hangover after having too much to drink. :)

The anxiety and apprehension building up before the procedure definitely feels way worse than the procedure itself.