• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Surgical extraction advice please!

S

Starvedartist

Hi!

I just need some calming of my nerves over my dental appointment tomorrow. Has anyone ever had a surgical extraction with just numbing? That’s my plan for tomorrow. My tooth is a failed root canal and it had gotten an abscess so they are having to surgically remove it.

I’ve never had a tooth removed before and I am trying to keep my anxiety in check with this being a surgical one. About how long does the actual extraction take? Not the numbing but the laying back in the chair with everyone over top you.

I easily pass out, especially if anyone takes my blood or mentions blood and with it being surgical, of course it’s going to involve blood. I’m hoping they won’t talk about it bleeding or anything because they may have me passed out in the chair lol

So yeah, just wanting to hear some good tales of people having surgical extraction please!

I had 5 pulled last week. Two were surgical extractions. I did not get sweet air or IV. Just wore my earbuds and played music. He numbed me like crazy. Did not feel a single thing. Didn’t even take long for all 5 to be pulled. Numbing took the longest. No swelling or pain after. Took 4 hours for novacaine to wear off but I.T was worth I.T. I went to work the next day. Hope that helps you somewhat.

Hi Starvedartist,

the word sounds more scary than the real experience will be, believe me. I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed in the past with just a local and two of them were surgical extractions too. You will be numb so you won't notice much and in my case, similar like Islandersgirl says, the numbing was the only long part and the actual extraction very quick.

Tell or write them beforehand about your worries and tell them what you do not want to see or hear so that they can make sure you will be fine. A patient passing out in the chair is not funny for them either so they will be more than happy to make sure to take all precautions that are needed for you to feel comfortable.

Again, do not worry too much, my 4 teeth were out in few minutes, you will be surprised how quickly they take out your one :)

Last edited:
Starvedartist,

How did your procedure go?

Hey sorry I just noticed your reply. I ended up having to push it back a week :( I woke up that morning stuffy and sneezing and at first I thought it was a cold but now I think it’s just really bad allergies from all the pollen right now. I’m gonna start taking my allergy pill twice a day instead of once and hopefully be ready Tuesday morning. I knew I couldn’t lay in the chair stuffy and not breathing good and then I read that you should try to not sneeze and cough often so you don’t get dry socket o_o I reallyyyy don’t want that. Thank you guys for your support and stories. It really helps me to calm down knowing pretty much exactly how long each procedure takes. I started out with high anxiety having to get this tooth out but now I’m just a tad nervous but I know I can handle it. Thank you!

My appointment went great. It was tons less scary than I was worried about. Honestly I sat there longer to get numb than getting the tooth out. I listened to music and the time passed by so quickly. Literally 5-10 mins at the most. Thanks guys!

I just had my tooth extracted yesterday- an upper back molar. Was put out so I got good zzz’s. And it was a surgical procedure as I had a root canal done recently that didn’t take care of infection. The tooth’s roots were in sinus or pushed up against it so he had to do surgery to close the hole. Took about 40 min. He gave me an IV antibiotic during surgery.
I am sore but not too bad. My sinus cavity hurts but it’s been hurting with the infected roots in sinus. Praying healing goes ok! I see dr in a week for follow. Scary as the endodontist said root canal was successful.... NOT! The oral surgeon had to scrape infection off of bone. Have an old root canal 25 yrs old showing black on root tip and gotta get that sucker out. I have root canal rage now lol

Back