• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Surgical Extraction of Upper First Molar

R

Rooster

Hello,

I am due to go to an oral surgeon tomorrow (3pm) and have my upper first molar surgically extracted as it is too fragile from decay to remove via simple extraction. What should I expect from this? Will they require to use a scalpel? Or will it involve sectioning? How long does this kind of extraction usually take? I am so scared and did not sleep last night with worry!

Thanks in advance.

Every surgeon is different but with upper first molars I find that I usually have to section them. It is rare that I'd need to use a scalpel. With an oral surgeon I'd expect it'd only take them 10-20 minutes to get it out. They do this all day, every day and they're really good at it. The sectioning will actually make the process a lot easier as they won't have to put as much force on the roots to get them out.

Back