• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Surprise abscess question

K

kimberly687

I went to an endodontist, regarding pain in the right side of my mouth. My regular dentist couldn't find any issues. Turns out, my bottom molar is dead and abscessed. Tooth 30. How long can a tooth be dead before it abscesses!? This was a total shock to me. I just had a cleaning and bitewings done in early February. Now I'm scared my other teeth will die without warning.:redface::cry:

G

gentledental

Verified dentist
Most dead teeth are diagnosed by chance or when you're having symptoms eg abscess. Most of the time, your immune system will combat any mild infection and prevent a full flare up.
Bitewings are used to detect decay not for detecting infection around the roots, which will leave to an abscess.