• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swallowed crown

A

Andrew1

I swallowed my crown. 36 hours and 2 bowel movements later I have retrieved it. The crown is only 7 years old and my insurance plan only covers replacements that are 10 years old and damaged beyond repair. I made a dental appointment the morning after I swallowed it and told them I think I swallowed it. I'm petrified to ask them to put it in and risk them thinking "that's sick! Nobody asks for the same one to be put in after that!" I don't know if it's commonplace or what. Do I A) Be honest and just deal with the walk of shame in and out of there. B) Get a new one and pay a fortune. Not to mention be free of the heeby jeebies about the crown's journey. or C) Say I didn't swallow it and say it actually came out in my sleep. But then would they still sterilize it as diligently as it needs? Retrieving it was cake compared to this anxiety now.

Last edited:
I swallowed my crown. 36 hours and 2 bowel movements later I have retrieved it. The crown is only 7 years old and my insurance plan only covers replacements that are 10 years old and damaged beyond repair. I made a dental appointment the morning after I swallowed it and told them I think I swallowed it. I'm petrified to ask them to put it in and risk them thinking "that's sick! Nobody asks for the same one to be put in after that!" I don't know if it's commonplace or what. Do I A) Be honest and just deal with the walk of shame in and out of there. B) Get a new one and pay a fortune. Not to mention be free of the heeby jeebies about the crown's journey. or C) Say I didn't swallow it and say it actually came out in my sleep. But then would they still sterilize it as diligently as it needs? Retrieving it was cake compared to this anxiety now.

I feel for you but I'm sure it's not the first time they will have heard of this happening.
At the end of the day, we all poo! If the crown can be re-fitted they will have the means to clean it and do it.
Put the embarrassment and the thoughts of 'where it's been' out of your head and hope that you can save yourself some money. Good luck and keep us posted :giggle:

I read on another forum about someone bringing their recovered crown to their dentist and he refused to put it back in That's what terrifies me. Not only would I be out like $1,ooo but I'd be humiliated too. I wish a dentist or two would chime in and say how they see these situations handled.

I would be very honest with your dentist about your situation- you pooped out your crown (thank God it didn't do any damage to your digestive tract), but you don't have the money budgeted for a new one. If the dentist thinks they can sanitize properly for you and it still fits, they might be able to put it back onto your tooth.

Yes they will sanitize it the best that they can :) And now you know for a fact that dentists have dealt with this issue before!!

Thank You. Dentist appointment is tomorrow. I cleaned it with a toothbrush(that i will now throw away) and Clorox. Then I let it soak in a cup of Clorox and warm water for an hour Then i re-cleaned it with the brush and Clorox again. The thing looks sparkling brand new. I'm going to redo each step again today anyway. Just not sure whether to go with the truth or the "fell out in my sleep" story. Even with all my cleaning I want him to re-sterilize it as well.

Last edited:
So I went. He said "So you swallowed a crown?" I just said "Yeah, but I brought it right back up", intimating that I threw it up. Hey less embarrassing than the truth. That was all that was said. He put it in the sterilizing machine for 5 minutes and put it back in. That was it.

Back