• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swelling not responding to antibiotics. Concerned.

P

paul74

Hi all.

Quick recap on my situation: one of my molars had a deep filling a couple of years ago. A few weeks ago that tooth started to hurt. Although it ceased being painful, a swelling started appearing in the gum beneath it. I've had no pain from this swelling.

I went to a dentist who gave me Metronidazole for five days. That succeeded in reducing some 'yellowing' at the top of the gum abscess, but not so much in the size. A second dentist gave me a course of Amoxicillin for another five days in an effort to get it down before potential root canal surgery, but so far it hasn't decreased.

I'm concerned about this, and am due to book in for a follow-up appointment this week. I'm just wondering if any experts on the forum know what my likely options are at this point?

Thanks.

I'd suggest that your dentists stop faffing about with antibiotics and actually treat the problem. In other words get on with the root canal treatment.

Back