• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen cheeks! Home remedies?

gotallthiswaiting

gotallthiswaiting

Hello again!

I had four wisdom teeth extracted on Monday, and I must say, I feel pretty great. The only thing I am now suffering from is swollen cheeks. I understand that this is to be expected after any oral surgery, but I wonder, do any of you have any home remedies for reducing the swelling?

On day one, I did the 20 mins on, 20 mins off with an ice pack. Since then, I have used the ice pack a little, but have since switched to heat, similar to how I was using the ice pack. I am still taking my antibiotic (clindamycin) and pain killer (percoset). I would take ibuprofen, but I was instructed not to.

Am I doing this right, or do any of you have some tips to help with the swelling? Tomorrow I have to return to work, so I want to help reduce the swelling as much as possible. I don't even care how it looks, it is just uncomfortable! I still can't fully close my jaw.

Thanks!!!!:redface:

Arnica cream is supposed to be helpful for the swelling - you can get it without a prescription from pharmacies/drug stores :)

Just out of curiosity may I ask why you were told not to take ibuprofen? I used it for both times I had wisdom teeth out and was just wondering why you were told not to.

Back