• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen Gums Post Extraction

A

amicx92

It hasn't even been 24 hours since my extraction, but I had a question about swelling. I had a pretty bad infection in an old root canal tooth. The teeth on either side were damaged/had multiple fillings, so I opted for a bridge. The infection was so bad, he had to cut away at gum tissue because it was over the sides of my tooth. He also had to clean out the infection after the tooth was extracted, obviously in addition to prepping the other teeth for the crown, and he placed me back on another round of antibiotics.

All in all, so far I haven't been in a lot of pain at all and the temporary bridge that was placed is comfortable! But I noticed this morning that I'm swollen on the outside gum where the tooth was extracted, and in the area that was swollen with the infection. Some people I talked to said they didn't have swelling with extractions, so I was wondering if this sounds normal/possibly where he cleaned out the infection and extra work? He's not in the office today, but he told me I could still call the office and they'd get in touch with him. Thanks!

Hi there! I just had full extraction yesterday, and I spoke with my dentist last night. He mentioned that the swelling can peak up to 24 hours after surgery. You’ve had more done than an extraction, so I would expect more swelling. Please don’t hesitate to call the office, they are there to help you.

I had a lot of swelling with a lower extraction of a molar. It took four days before ot went away. I tend to swell a lot with any dental work.

Back