• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen jaw one week after wisdom teeth surgery

M

Missymajor

First of all I want to apologize for posting so much. I think I've made about 5 threads since I first found out I'd need my wisdom teeth out until now one week after getting them out. I just don't really have people to talk to about this kind of thing so I was excited to find a whole forum for people like me with such bad anxiety.

So I got all 4 wisdom teeth out 8 days ago and a couple days ago I started noticing the inside of my cheek and some of the gum on my bottom left side next to the extraction site was swollen and was covering the extraction site. I was in a lot of pain from it last night and took 2 Advil and went to sleep. Today I woke up to a visibly swollen jaw and I'm getting really scared. My dentist prescribed me amoxicillin after my surgery which I originally did not take because I'm pretty sure I've become resistant to it but since this swelling mess started, I decided last night to start taking it. Does this sound like infection? It feels like it. I'm scared to go back to the dentist but I think I may have to. I think I want to finish the antibiotics first before I go though because maybe by some miracle it will take care of it. If I get worse and start feeling sick with a fever or anything like that I'll of course make an emergency appointment but for now it's just pain and swelling. Am I being stupid by not going back to the dentist right now?

Missymajor,

I'm not a dentist but just wanted to say sorry you are going through this , it can be a scary time when symptoms come up after dental surgery. and You are not stupid just human, who wants to go back again ?, i think alot of have those feelings of procrastination. I do encourage you to call them at least. and I know its hard sometimes even to make a call. Do they have an emergency number you can call ? not that it is but I know they would want you to call if you are having symptoms and worried. I hope you can get some answers and reassurance soon. and the symptoms go down.

Back