• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen jaw one week after wisdom teeth surgery

M

Missymajor

First of all I want to apologize for posting so much. I think I've made about 5 threads since I first found out I'd need my wisdom teeth out until now one week after getting them out. I just don't really have people to talk to about this kind of thing so I was excited to find a whole forum for people like me with such bad anxiety.

So I got all 4 wisdom teeth out 8 days ago and a couple days ago I started noticing the inside of my cheek and some of the gum on my bottom left side next to the extraction site was swollen and was covering the extraction site. I was in a lot of pain from it last night and took 2 Advil and went to sleep. Today I woke up to a visibly swollen jaw and I'm getting really scared. My dentist prescribed me amoxicillin after my surgery which I originally did not take because I'm pretty sure I've become resistant to it but since this swelling mess started, I decided last night to start taking it. Does this sound like infection? It feels like it. I'm scared to go back to the dentist but I think I may have to. I think I want to finish the antibiotics first before I go though because maybe by some miracle it will take care of it. If I get worse and start feeling sick with a fever or anything like that I'll of course make an emergency appointment but for now it's just pain and swelling. Am I being stupid by not going back to the dentist right now?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missymajor,

I'm not a dentist but just wanted to say sorry you are going through this , it can be a scary time when symptoms come up after dental surgery. and You are not stupid just human, who wants to go back again ?, i think alot of have those feelings of procrastination. I do encourage you to call them at least. and I know its hard sometimes even to make a call. Do they have an emergency number you can call ? not that it is but I know they would want you to call if you are having symptoms and worried. I hope you can get some answers and reassurance soon. and the symptoms go down.