• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

swollen tooth root

W

WorriedIncisor

The other day I knocked my bottom front tooth and ever since I’ve been able to feel the outline of the root with my tongue. It feels hard and swollen, which I guess is the bone.

My main worry is could I have knocked the tooth’s root out of position? I also had braces for years to close an extraction gap in that area.

I’m so worried, any help would be appreciated!

Hi WorriedIncisor,

Sounds like it needs assessed by a dentist by examination and x-ray.

It may well be fine and often it’s ok to just keep an eye on things but needs checked out properly to have a better idea.

Niall

Hi WorriedIncisor,

Sounds like it needs assessed by a dentist by examination and x-ray.

It may well be fine and often it’s ok to just keep an eye on things but needs checked out properly to have a better idea.

Niall

Thanks so much for your reply, What’s the worst it could be and what’s the least worst it could be if you don’t mind me asking. Thank you!

Thanks so much for your reply, What’s the worst it could be and what’s the least worst it could be if you don’t mind me asking. Thank you!

The dentist would do a few tests to check stability/ mobility and how normal the response of the nerve is. An x-ray would check for any crack in the root. They may take photos.

These initial tests also give us a baseline to be able to compare to moving forward as teeth that have experienced trauma can present with problems much further down the line. Follow up tests and x-rays would check for any sign of infection or indication that the tooth would benefit from root canal treatment or removal.

I should say though that it’s not unusual to be able to feel the shape of your incisor root under the gum and bone so it is very possible that the tooth may need no treatment at all.

Regardless it’s very helpful to the dentist to get that baseline information early on.

Back