• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Symptoms of infection after extraction.

H

hypocondriac?

On Dec 31st I had a molar extracted. I am worried that it may be infected and need to know what to look for. On the paper that was given to me it says that any swelling increasing in size after 72 hours or swelling that is hard and the overlying skin becomes red and warm to touch, is likely to be an infection. It doesn't give any other info on infection. I don't have any swelling at all. My concern is the appearence of the extraction site. The first day it looked like this gapping hallow hole, the next day it started to get some white stuff on the edges and brown and greyish discusting stuff which daily has increased until now the entire hole is covered by this grey, brown material and the white stuff on the edges is starting to go away. it is not as thick anymore. I do have a little pain but compared to the pain I was in before this extraction it is nothing. The pain does seem slightly worse this morning that it was last night. If I push on the gums in the extraction area on the outside it hurts but not on the inside portion of the gums. I do have a very low grade fever of 99.3 since last night. I have been rinsing with salt water a lot everyday but I'm pretty sure I got some mashed potatoes stuck in there the second day. Someone please tell me what the extraction site should look like, this is really worrying me. Also can the bacteria in yogurt cause an infection in an extraction?

Normal extraction site should look like you describe yours as being.

The main sign of infection is pain, quite a lot of it.

Back