• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Taking your kids to the dentist

• Thread starter Monarchandthemilkweed
  • Start date
Well done. Sorry to read about the watch - if I got you there was just one tooth on watch but no cavity (not a native speaker and don‘t get tenses sometimes)?
You seem to take care of your oral hygiene a lot so I get your disappointment, I would be upset too. Did your dentist discuss the possible causes with you?

the dentist said to just make sure I’m flossing and using a flouride toothpaste. I use Sensodyne which I do floss almost every day. Won’t skip a day now haha. And I even use a prescription mouthwash they gave me. This is the whole reason I often feel hopeless at the dentist and stop going.
I don’t drink soda ever. Rarely eat junk food. It’s frustrating. But I have a close friend just like me. Despite excellent oral hygiene she has had so much decay. It always makes me think we don’t quite know what causes decay in some people and not others.

I don’t drink soda ever. Rarely eat junk food. It’s frustrating. But I have a close friend just like me. Despite excellent oral hygiene she has had so much decay. It always makes me think we don’t quite know what causes decay in some people and not others.

This sounds frustrating. By the way, we have a really detailed article about factors that play a role for tooth decay. To the surprise of the most people oral hygiene is a minor factor when it comes to tooth decay. I would expect your dentist to talk to you about food as well. By that I don't mean suggesting you are doing anything wrong, but more making sure you know all the details, just to be sure. I think everyone knows flossing and brushing is important, but not many people know about carbs and acids and why not to eat too many times during the day. That's why I would wish dentists would talk about that point a bit more.

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for that tooth on watch to stay on watch forever and for no new decay to come, either for you nor for your kids. Well done for the appointments and give yourself a pat on the back!

This sounds frustrating. By the way, we have a really detailed article about factors that play a role for tooth decay. To the surprise of the most people oral hygiene is a minor factor when it comes to tooth decay. I would expect your dentist to talk to you about food as well. By that I don't mean suggesting you are doing anything wrong, but more making sure you know all the details, just to be sure. I think everyone knows flossing and brushing is important, but not many people know about carbs and acids and why not to eat too many times during the day. That's why I would wish dentists would talk about that point a bit more.

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for that tooth on watch to stay on watch forever and for no new decay to come, either for you nor for your kids. Well done for the appointments and give yourself a pat on the back!

thank you! I had no idea the time between sweets matters! And the list of cavity causing foods was really helpful. Let’s see if we can keep this tooth as a watch!

Good to read from you again, @Thephilsblogbar , hope you are well!

My sister had to get some dental bonding put one of her teeth last week, she was upset as she was told she needed a filling, by her dentist, she had to see another dentist in the same practice but was told a filling was not needed, just a bit of bonding.

I am glad she did not need a filling as she got good teeth

My niece did not go with my sister for the appointment, but my brother in law worked from home that day.

Back