• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tapping pain on side of tooth after root canal

K

Kns

About a year ago I had a root canal on an upper premolar after a composite filling made my tooth feel constantly pinched. It took months of appointments with my dentist and endodontist before the endodontist would treat it. They kept saying it was likely a neuropathy. During the root canal, the endodontist mentioned the inside of the tooth was ischemic and looked like my nerve was being squeezed. After filling it with medicine, it was finished at a second appointment. I haven’t had it crowned yet as it still hurts. It’s been tested several times with endo ice and I feel nothing, so it seems like he removed all of the nerve. I have had two CBCT scans and there’s no evidence of infection or mention of fracture.

I’m stuck not knowing what to do. The area feels painful most of the day and especially if I tap the side of the tooth. I wear a nightguard and I have developed an open bite after my last few crowns, so it’s not hitting another tooth when I bite down. (Only my 2nd molars hit when I bite down now.) The nightguard puts some pressure on it when I put it on, which slightly hurts, but at least it protects the tooth. I haven’t eaten on that side of my mouth in 1 1/2 years due to pain and dental work. I occasionally have weird sensations like lip and cheek numbness or a cold sensation around that gum and tooth area that don’t really make sense. Does the tooth just need to be removed? Could it be a neuralgia even though there was a real need for the root canal? I’m nervous about pulling a visible premolar if it’s actually a neuralgia. But I’m also overwhelmed by the ongoing pain. My dentists haven’t given me a set diagnosis or recommendation.

Hi,

Did you have a dental cleaning since then?
Could it be a gum problem?

I can't give an answer, obviously, but am dealing with the same thing with my front tooth. It had a root canal and an apico, so there is nothing left. The x rays and CBCT show nothing amiss. Yet the tooth is painful when pushed from the back and still has pain between that tooth and the one next to it. My endodontist said I am a mystery.

I did have nerve damage with the apico, and there is a spot right over my lateral incisor that is still numb. I get that feeling you describe where it feels cold sometimes, like visible to the touch cold when the gums around it are warm.

I am also scared that pulling it won't fix the pain, so I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks for your replies. I have had a cleaning since then and was told my gums look good. I wish I knew what was going on so that I could make a good decision on what to do next. MountainMama, I know how you feel. I was getting over my dental anxiety but the last year or so has left me with more pain after each treatment that was supposed to help. My anxiety is now worse, I think. I used to just worry about getting through a procedure and now I’m worried that every procedure will leave me in constant pain and no answers. :(

Thanks for your replies. I have had a cleaning since then and was told my gums look good. I wish I knew what was going on so that I could make a good decision on what to do next. MountainMama, I know how you feel. I was getting over my dental anxiety but the last year or so has left me with more pain after each treatment that was supposed to help. My anxiety is now worse, I think. I used to just worry about getting through a procedure and now I’m worried that every procedure will leave me in constant pain and no answers. :(

Yep, me too. I am in a worse place now than I was before all this started. I have always been scared of dental treatments and procedures, but not to the extent of canceling appointments, or debating whether a procedure is going to make things worse.

Back