• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tartar build up already?

T

Teix

I had my teeth deep cleaned at the beginning of May but I’ve noticed tartar building up again behind some of my lower front teeth. Not a lot, a small line by my gum line on a few teeth.

I’m frustrated. I use an interdental brush between each tooth twice a day, brush twice with electric (morning and night) and once with a manual (after lunch). I really pay close attention behind my lower teeth because I know it builds up there for me. I swish my mouth with water and chew gum after every meal.

I don’t know what I’m missing. Why am I still getting a build up even though I’m being careful? I feel like I’m wasting my time and effort.

I am thankfully going back to the dentist in only two months (instead of having to wait 6) but I am getting worried that I’ll have a significant build up in a short space of time.

I just want clean teeth.

Some peoples' saliva is very rich in calcium and other ions, which is basically what calculus is made from, it's a bit like limescale in a kettle.
Since your sublingual saliva glands discharge pretty much immediately behind the lower front teeth, then it's not unusual to get some calculus build up in this area. It might be something you'll need to learn to live with, but get your dentist (or preferably a hygienist) to check your brushing is up to snuff in this area.
With a manual brush it's usually better to turn the brush round 90 degrees to get to the back of the front lower teeth, since it's pretty narrow, if you see what I mean?

With a manual brush it's usually better to turn the brush round 90 degrees to get to the back of the front lower teeth, since it's pretty narrow, if you see what I mean?

Picking up on that last point, if you're currently using an electric toothbrush with an oval brush head, it might be worth trying one with small round head instead (like the standard oral-b ones).

I do usually take my tooth brush at that angle and do a flicking motion from my gum line upwards; I think that’s what my dentist told me years and years ago to do.

I also go in with my manual toothbrush to brush this spot as above after cleaning with my (round, rotary) electric because I do my best with the electric but I don’t think it can reach all the spots there effectively.

I’ll definitely discuss it with my dentist when I go again but it’s honestly disheartening and frustrating when I feel that I’m being careful and thorough.

Are you using a Tepe brush to clean interdentally? Has your dentist checked you're using it correctly?

Are you using a Tepe brush to clean interdentally? Has your dentist checked you're using it correctly?

Yes, I’ve got the tepe interdental brushes which I use in each tooth gap. I can’t quite get it (I use the smallest) through all the gaps but these teeth are super close together and I struggle to get even thin floss between them too.

My dentist did show me how to use them on my teeth and I watched videos online too but I’ll see if she can watch my technique in case I’m going wrong. I also think I’ll ask her for advice for those teeth I can’t quite get in between too.

Sounds like a plan, try not to lose too much sleep over it, a minor amount of calculus above the gum line isn't a big issue.

Sounds like a plan, try not to lose too much sleep over it, a minor amount of calculus above the gum line isn't a big issue.

Thank you, I think I needed to hear someone say that.

I’ve been trying to tell it to myself and remind myself that I won’t suddenly wake up with a ton of it again as it did take years for it to get as bad as it did.

I always think the worst for sure!

I think it's the way most humans are wired, if there's something that worries us then we seem to be great at finding the worst possible slant on it.

Back