• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teen scared of the dentist?

V

Vicky282

I am absolutely terrified of the dentist and haven't been for two years! My mum has booked me an appointment on Friday and I'm already shaking and close got tears. Everything about it scares the life out of me. I'm 13 and have no idea what to do, I'm in tears at the thought of going :shame::shame: Please help x

Hi Vicky,

I understand how you feel especially being so young, but you'll be just fine, I expect you're going with your mum so you'll have her for support?

I went through a very bad experience when I was just a bit older than you, since then I've found a great dentist who has just about cured me of my dental phobia. So have some faith and put some trust into the one you're going to see because dentistry has moved on so much since I was a teenager in the 80s.

Back then when I saw a dentist he said "your teeth are fine but your gums will have to come out" :giggle: Just a bit of dental humour for you ;D

Try not to worry and before you know it it'll all be over and you can enjoy your weekend.:cheer2:

How did you get on Vicky?

Hi Vicky :) I am a teen too! Feel free to send me a message if you feel up to it!
Hope your appointment went well!
Cookie46 x

Hi!

I am also a teen, so any time you want to talk, just private message me :)

I want all you teens out there to know that I am not a teen but I actually enjoy treating teens who are scared and have had bad experiences at the dentist. Why? because I know I can give them a completely different experience without pain or shame and basically everyone I have treated ends up a non-phobic (at least with me).
So when a teenager knows you are truly doing the right thing for them with respect they always appreciate you and I get great satisfaction from that relationship.

Hi Vicky!
I'm 19 and I went through the same thing. I haven't been to the dentist in 3 years, my dentist was really mean and I ironically live next door to a legit dentist office lol Don't worry though, if the dentist says anything cruel, tell your mother right away. You're the consumer/patient, you have rights and you deserve to be treated with dignity :)

Good luck!

For some people, that is easier said than done. That is why it is a phobia. We don't like the feeling of being scared to go get our oral health checked and fixed. It is not something that can be cured overnight.

We just talked about phobias in our psychology class, so that is why I added the 3rd sentence.

Back