• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth constantly cracking - dentist clueless?!

F

Freddy

Hi Guys,

This is driving me crazy - please help me out.

Over the past year I have had around 7 teeth cracking in one way or another. It is normally at the top of the tooth - and they are always for teeth who have fillings (laser white) in them. The story is always the same, I would suddenly notice something sharp hitting against my tongue, I'd then check in the mirror with a flash light and I would see a crack of some sort. Days later I would go to the dentist and she will say this is normal and patch it up.

But this has happened so much. For the first one, this was around a year ago, I was chewing gum and suddenly the tooth cracks and falls out.

It's getting me to the point of paranoia. I have stopped chewing gum, I never drink any fizzy drinks, I eat slowly, I don't have a history of cruxing.

But then I thought hold on - over the last year I have lost over 30 kg. Could they somehow be related? Could it be that my weight loss has somehow affected the quality of my teeth?

I've been taking all types of vitamin and calcium supplements for the past 3 months and I am still getting cracks. Just now I noticed one of my molars is cracked and its quite substantial this time.

I can't keep getting patched up like that because it is costing too much money and the doctor just cannot explain to my why the hell my teeth are like that. I used to have incredible teeth growing up (my doctor back home used to love my teeth!!).

PS: Recently after one of the cracks, the doctor told me that I have very unusually dark dentin. She couldn't explain why though.

What are your thoughts - am I destined for a lifetime of eating nothing but yogurts and rice puddings?! :(

Hi Guys,

This is driving me crazy - please help me out.

Over the past year I have had around 7 teeth cracking in one way or another. It is normally at the top of the tooth - and they are always for teeth who have fillings (laser white) in them. The story is always the same, I would suddenly notice something sharp hitting against my tongue, I'd then check in the mirror with a flash light and I would see a crack of some sort. Days later I would go to the dentist and she will say this is normal and patch it up.

But this has happened so much. For the first one, this was around a year ago, I was chewing gum and suddenly the tooth cracks and falls out.

It's getting me to the point of paranoia. I have stopped chewing gum, I never drink any fizzy drinks, I eat slowly, I don't have a history of cruxing.

But then I thought hold on - over the last year I have lost over 30 kg. Could they somehow be related? Could it be that my weight loss has somehow affected the quality of my teeth?

I've been taking all types of vitamin and calcium supplements for the past 3 months and I am still getting cracks. Just now I noticed one of my molars is cracked and its quite substantial this time.

I can't keep getting patched up like that because it is costing too much money and the doctor just cannot explain to my why the hell my teeth are like that. I used to have incredible teeth growing up (my doctor back home used to love my teeth!!).

PS: Recently after one of the cracks, the doctor told me that I have very unusually dark dentin. She couldn't explain why though.

What are your thoughts - am I destined for a lifetime of eating nothing but yogurts and rice puddings?! :(

Do you know what your families dental history is? Some people have REALLY sucky genetics in the dental category. that's the case with my mothers side. Grandparents on her side had dentures, mom has dentures, and I too have to either get major dental work done or even par dentures or something(if I ever work up the courage to go)

Do you know what your families dental history is? Some people have REALLY sucky genetics in the dental category. that's the case with my mothers side. Grandparents on her side had dentures, mom has dentures, and I too have to either get major dental work done or even par dentures or something(if I ever work up the courage to go)

That's a great point actually never thought of that. I think my mum's side is pretty decent, she generally has really good teeth. Dad has a few crowns - has had plenty of work done on his teeth down the years, nothing insane though - but certainly more than average.

The saga continues - I had another tooth chip today on a root canalled tooth while flossing. This particular tooth has been giving me a big headache for a while now as the filling keeps falling out of place and the tooth structure gets weaker. Needs a crown + re-root canal - just can't afford it, and I wouldn't trust students on this one. It's basically falling apart... :(

Back