• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth pain, but no money to fix the issues?

E

EllieH

I honestly haven't taken the best care of my teeth. When I was younger i just didn't care and didn't start doing a better job of brushing and taking care until about 8 years ago. pretty much all my molars have cavity's, a few down to the root, a few teeth with exposed nerves, my gums are pretty much all the way worn down, no enamel. The pain isn't constant, most of the time i don't even think about it, but every few weeks a tooth, or a few will flair up....usually after i eat something especially hard or sweet, and the pain is absolutely excruciating. Pain pills don't work, oragel doesn't work. The only thing that seems to work is a salt water swish and sometimes even that doesn't help with a particular tooth. I've been out of a job for about 6 months and don't have insurance, so I don't have the money right now that have things looked at and fixed. Is there anywhere I can go that can help even just a little bit?

Hi Ellie, are you in the US? I'm not overly familiar with what free dental care is available there, and it probably varies from state to state, but one of our forum volunteers (krlovesherkids) has helped out at Mission of Mercy events (which apparently are held nationwide). My understanding is that they provide free dental care, but I'm not sure how often these events take place or whether there is one near you. I suppose you could do a Google search for your location and "Mission of Mercy"?

Also, if there is a dental school near you, they may offer low-cost treatment. There is a discussion of the pros and cons of dental schools here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/cost-of-dental-treatment/#US

Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to find some help soon :grouphug:

Hi Ellie H,

I so understand having alot of dental issues and no money as a single mom for 17 years and with abuser before that there was never enough money to prioritize my teeth .

As Lets connect said I did volunteer at an event which was amazing and provided much free care to people no questions asked based off need and time. They do it once every year or two in different states, in my state they just had one in Minneapolis for 2 days . It was amazing to see so many dentists and staff really care about patients and volunteer like this. I"m not sure what state you are in but its worth googling Mission of Mercy and your state to see if they have one coming up.. There was a long wait line. (hours) but people got alot of work done.

Also I know there is very low cost and free clinics around and sliding fee scales. If you haven't already, the state dental association in your state may know of some great resources. I really hope you find some resources that can help you quick!

Agreed with the excellent advice above.

If if you live in America, you have two options you can do tomorrow:

1. Call 211 and tell them what you told us.

2. Google your nearest community colleges and dental schools to see if they have clinics. I first went to a community college, and it was a great place to start.

Back