• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth shifting after filling?

E

E93

I had a filling recently. Because i have been tasting a bitter taste in my mouth and dry mouth since i got it (which might not actually be related to the filling? No idea) I have gone back to my dentist a couple of times to check back that everything is allright with it

My gums ended up being a bit swollen, but an xray was done, and it was not an infection inside the gum.

Now, around the gums that were swollen, i think i am noticing the gap between some teeth is getting wider, as though they are shifting towards were the filling was done.

Specifically the filling was done between the upper first and second molar. And i thought i had noticed the gap between the two premolars getting wider, as though the premolar was moving towards the molar. And now i think i noticed the gap between the canine and the first premolar getting wider, as though as the premolar is moving towards the direction where the filling was made.

I went to the dentist, and they were a bit annoyed because it was the third time i went back without paying, and they said that it is impossible, because the filling was between the two molars, and the teeth i thought were shifting are not adjacent to the filling so they would not shift.

she gave a quick lock at the teeth and my latest xray (which were pretty recent though, of a couple of day prior) and said she doesn't think there's anything wrong. She also tested again the height of the filling end everything seems fine.

I am completely open to the idea that i'm just imagining things, and misremembering how wide my space between teeth was. But i'm also super anxious. so i would like some confirmation that the dentist is right? that tooth so far away would not move toward the filling? Especially if the filling is not facing toward them?

Last edited:
I sadly cannot afford checking with another dentist right now, especially about something that i might be just imagining... any help?

I am not a dentist, but I genuinely can’t understand how your teeth could shift because of a filling. No space has been created for them to move into. My understanding is that teeth shifting even after an extraction happens VERY slowly, if at all.

If I had to guess, I would say that your recent treatment has made you hyper-aware of your mouth, the way it feels with your tongue, and also looking at your teeth in the mirror like you wouldn’t have done previously.

I had a spell of dental treatment caused by clenching my teeth, and went from only ever thinking about my teeth while brushing or flossing to being absolutely, completely obsessed with them, so I can empathise - but again, I am not a dentist.

Back