• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth whitening

K

kelly220

Former Member
I have pretty good teeth however I've noticed that they are starting to tinge because of the excessive intake of coffee . It's not bad at all and people say that it's not noticeable, but I notice it. So I've had getting my teeth whitened on the agenda for a while.I have been looking on for several treatments like laser, bleaching etc. I’ve got several mixed reviews on it. But they are said to be some harsh treatments. I do not want to experiment on my teeth. I am not in a hurry and a slow treatment is acceptable for me. I‘ve read about custom whitening trays in. I found them to be a better choice. It is claimed to be a comfortable process. Anyone having an experience with custom rays?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kelly

Interesting post, I am considering this once I have had an implant next year.

I'm not sure where you are in the world but here in the UK, it is illegal for anybody apart from a qualified and GDC registered dental professional to carry out tooth whitening, so for me I would only go to a dentist for this as they are qualified and experienced to make sure the whitening process is carried out safely to preserve the health of the teeth and soft tissues in the mouth.

The tray system you describe is the one I am considering as my dentist uses a combination of "at home" and "in office" whitening procedures to achieve long lasting and safe whitening.

For me it's simply not worth the risk to try to save a bit of money by going to people who are not suitably dentally qualified and experienced.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Hi Kelly,

Well said by spike, it's always better to seek dental professional for whitening.

Usually customized tray would be the best choice cf to laser whitening if you are not going to a wedding the next day, as the result is pretty much the same, except duration of latter is much faster.

Please also pay attention to the ingredient in bleaching, two main types on the market are hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide, several research has shown carbamide peroxide is more effective and.causes less sensitivity

Some tips on customized tray is, look in the mirror first and see which teeth are visible when you smile, only apply gel on the visible ones

I forgot to mention, the system that my dentist uses is the Enlighten Smiles professional whitening system, this is only available through GDC registered and qualified dental professionals. the system uses professionally custom made trays, a special toothpaste (to reduce short term sensitivity), home whitening gel and "in surgery" whitening gel.

Hope this is of help

Kind Regards

Back