• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Telling My Mom

C

CollegeBound

Subject explains it all. Wish me luck!

I told her about my back two teeth that have been hurting me. Hardest thing ever!

How did it go? :butterfly:

I am making an appointment this morning for sometime next week... if I can get the balls to do it. Thanks for asking!

Next Thursday 8 AM :scared:

Making that appointment is such a HUGE step! That took a lot of courage and I know Thursday will too but you can do it and will feel so much better when your teeth aren't hurting anymore. YAY YOU !!!! :jump::jump::jump:

Thanks Mugz! Thursday is just pretty much an exam and assessment according to the receptionist. She said he me give me antibiotics and pain meds, but nothing dramatic will happen. Does not mean that I am not nervous. I never got a response to my email that I sent him either...

Hey good for you!! That takes a lot of courage to tell your mom, and to get an appointment made. It probably all feels uncomfortable and terrifying, but it's really very brave and admirable.

Not all dentist will write back to emails, but it's almost certain that he'll read it in preparation for you consultation. So things should be pretty slow and easy at your first appointment. If you can tolerate getting x-rays, it will give him a good idea of how your teeth are. If not, even just meeting and talking is a huge first step. You'll be in complete control and don't have to go any further than you're ready to go. No one will force you to do anything.

No, waiting until next Thursday is the hardest part-- way harder than the actual appointment. Try to keep yourself distracted and busy, and read the success stories and journals here to keep yourself positive with stories of other people who have survived.

Congrats again, and good job. We're all real proud of you, and here for you.

Thank you Steve! Why wouldn't he respond to my email? I think that would be a good way to let a patient know that you read what they wrote to you.
I kind of wish that they would just fix the problem the same day, because I usually flake out the visit that they are going to fix something. As long as I can enjoy ice cream again soon, I will be happy!
Keeping busy won't be hard. I have to practice a speech on Positivity for my public speaking class, as well as some other assignments for school. Keeping focused, however, will be a different story!
I looked at some of the success stories last night, and that was encouraging. I just might be able to go through with it this time!

Fellow Phobics: Do you (if you go to the dentist) have mood swings before your appointment, such as being happy one minute, and nervous the next, and then feeling like crying/screaming/etc....

It seems that I am going through moods swings like this. I don't realize I am doing it until I get to the crying stage. Any advice on fixing this problem?

Fellow Phobics: Do you (if you go to the dentist) have mood swings before your appointment, such as being happy one minute, and nervous the next, and then feeling like crying/screaming/etc....

It seems that I am going through moods swings like this. I don't realize I am doing it until I get to the crying stage. Any advice on fixing this problem?

I don't really have any advice, but I have this too, even if just a little! I get so irritable, and very moody! Hope you're okay! Maybe try listening to music? Setting up a playlist for each mood? (Just an idea!) :XXLhug:

Yes, totally! That's pretty much *exactly* how I've been the last couple of days...

Re how to fix it, sorry, no idea but let me know if you ever figure it out! :grin:

On a more serious note, I would guess that getting more comfortable with going to the dentist will gradually help the mood swings. It's not a quick fix, but it should be a fix.

Thanks to all! I can't believe how slow the days leading up to my appointment are going!

The dentist answered my email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him about concerns that I had, and this was his answer:

Thank you for your email. I look forward to meeting you on Thursday. At that time we will be doing an exam to find out exactly what is causing your pain and what needs you may have. We will also address any other concerns you have.

Thanks and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Ok guys, appointment tomorrow. Going to be on here a lot tonight...

I think that what happened in Speech today was fate. We talked about Public Speaking Anxiety and ways to cope with it. The more the professor talked, the more I related what she was saying to my dental phobia. She spoke about the stages that people get nervous.

Pre-Preparation (I thought of before you make the call for an appointment)
Preparation (Making the call)
Pre-Performance (Days before appointment)
Performance (Dooms Day)

The more I read our sections, the more and more I related this to dental phobia. It also talks about relaxation methods and breathing techniques, but I haven't read deeply into those.

It's funny how God (I use that term loosely, because I believe that there are more than a million definitions to the term God.) sends us subliminal messages like that.

Note that this doesn't mean that I am not scared as hell still, but I just thought that you would find that as intriguing as I did.

Last edited:
Good luck with your appointment CollegeBound, let us know how you get on! That's a really good sign if the dentist replied to your email, sounds like a good 'un!

Drum roll...... I did it! I didn't cry, didn't run away or anything!

I walked in the office and for some reason felt more relaxed. The hygienist can out almost as soon as I came in and took me straight back to get my x rays. I am happy to report that I only kind of gagged once! After, She took me to an exam room and pinned one of those bib things on me. I immediately turned on my iPod and watched TV until the dentist came in. He introduced himself with his first name and explained what he was going to do. I turned my music up so that I could still hear him, but I could still be in my comfort bubble. He talked to me after he looked around. He said that I only have 6 cavities total! I have to get my wisdom teeth removed, and he gave me a referral for that. He said that I could start with a cleaning, and the deal with then fillings. He said they would take 2 visits to complete.

Overall, I was really impressed! He was awesome, as was his staff! My next appointment is on the 16th in the morning before class.

Note, however, that I normally chicken out after the cleaning, so this doesn't mean a whole lot, but I guess it will be one appointment at a time. Good day!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Drum roll...... I did it! I didn't cry, didn't run away or anything!

I walked in the office and for some reason felt more relaxed. The hygienist can out almost as soon as I came in and took me straight back to get my x rays. I am happy to report that I only kind of gagged once! After, She took me to an exam room and pinned one of those bib things on me. I immediately turned on my iPod and watched TV until the dentist came in. He introduced himself with his first name and explained what he was going to do. I turned my music up so that I could still hear him, but I could still be in my comfort bubble. He talked to me after he looked around. He said that I only have 6 cavities total! I have to get my wisdom teeth removed, and he gave me a referral for that. He said that I could start with a cleaning, and the deal with then fillings. He said they would take 2 visits to complete.

Overall, I was really impressed! He was awesome, as was his staff! My next appointment is on the 16th in the morning before class.

Note, however, that I normally chicken out after the cleaning, so this doesn't mean a whole lot, but I guess it will be one appointment at a time. Good day!!!!!!!!

well done CollegeBound!!! :) that's amazing news! Hope you're proud of yourself :) Make sure you do something fun, or get yourself something as a reward! You've earned it! :jump: Xxxxx

Thank you Cookie!

Well done CollegeBound! So glad to hear it went well :jump: