• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temp Caps

M

Mike473

Hi there,

My 2 top front teeth were damaged by years of griding and were thinning out. As a result, I decided to get them capped. I went in and everything went great, no pain, much easier than I thought. However, my temporary caps just dont feel natural in my mouth. They are definately bigger than my old teeth and feel foriegn in my mouth. My bite and the color seems fine, they just dont feel like they should be there. Is there any difference between what temp caps usually feel like and the perm ones that will be coming in shortly?

I can definately live with it, cause it doesnt hurt, but I am wondering if they will always feel just a little unsual.

Mike

Hi Mike, when I had my temp crown fitted I felt the same way, I would bite down and it would touch the bottom teeth and would feel just generally weird, I though it was to big and didnt want my permanent one to feel like this, I didnt have to worry though because I have my permanent ones in now and they feel just like my other teeth, a bit smoother somewhat but not big clumpy or out of place, hope that helps? If when you do get your perm ones in and they do feel weird then let the dentist know, they will be able to correct it.

Thank you so much for the responce. I never had anything like this done before, and my dental phobia is strong to very strong. I go back on Tuesday to have the temps removed and a set of new impressions taken for the lab for my final perm caps. One last question. I dont mind paying extra for quality, should I ask for, or is there, a certian kind of permanent cap material/brand or what not that is better than others. The caps are going to go on my upper 2 front teeth, so I want to make sure it will be the best it possibly can

Mike

There's not a lot to choose between materials, in terms of the final appearance. The lab used makes the biggest difference really. My personal preference is for "Empress" crowns using a special castable ceramic material, but your dentist will no doubt have their own favourite material and will no doubt recommend it if asked.