• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temp Crown Causing Pain in other Teeth?

T

TiredStudent

Hello!

I posted a few weeks back on a different forum about a very dull but intense ache in my back right molar after a temp crown was put in. I went back to my dentist, and they said the bite didn't seem that off, but they shaved it down anyway for quite some time (which seemed weird, seeing that they said it looked fine). The next day, I didn't feel the need to take Aleve (which I have been taking more than I'd like at this point).

However, I noticed recently that the tooth above this molar is starting to get the same dull ache. I had some small fillings done up there a few months ago, and it did not bother me. However, it seems like the aching is going between the top and bottom tooth.

I haven't had a root canal, and I'm absolutely terrified of what could be going on. My dentist took an x-ray and saw a very small shadow by the root. She said it could be the start of needing a root canal, tooth abscess, or it could have been from me clenching really hard in my sleep (i'm a tooth clencher/grinder). I'm just nervous because I truly cannot keep taking pain medication like candy, but I also can't be in pain 24/7 :(

The hope is that I will get my permanent crown and these symptoms will go away. I'm just scared and confused because these symptoms could be small or giant problems waiting to erupt. Any thoughts? :confused:

Do you wear a night guard for the clenching / grinding? If not, I'd recommend trying an over the counter one. If the pain goes away after you've worn it for a couple of nights then the pain is likely a result of the clenching/grinding.

Back